Chapter 3: Path

Three days later Kieren was up and running about again as if nothing had happened, which was a good sign to Molly who had been constantly worrying about him since he'd arrived back at the orphanage. But through all that the horrible fear swelling in the town about the fleet of pirates was enough to spook her out of her mother hen state and return to her worrying about what would happen if those pirates were coming here. Kieren was picking up a small delivery from Mr. Lancey today when he heard someone come rushing in behind him. He turned to see none other than Jewel, and Rick standing there out of breath and startled.

"What's this about?" Mr. Lancey asked.

"The Sky Pirates just hit the northern bay of Ferrarca, and we got word from the port lines that they're headed directly into Osaia. They'll be in Verishan by tonight at the very least." Kieren looked at Mr. Lancey who glanced down at the list he was about to give Kieren before he shook his head.

"Then that means that they could be here by dawn. I don't know if it's a good idea to let you do those runs today Kieren," he stated.

"Mr. Lancey we need that money right now – I'm fast enough to get to Albon by nightfall and run the delivery line for that day and get back before dawn tomorrow. It won't be a big deal." He smiled but the man shook his head.

"Albon is forty miles from here. No matter how good in shape you are Kieren you cannot run forty miles before dawn and get back here. Maybe sending you to Briarcatch would be better. It's only fourteen miles from here and it'll be easier since we're more than likely going to go under lockdown soon," he said.

"I guess a least a little bit of the money will help. Even though the Albon run would be more..." Kieren sighed.

"Even though you've just gotten over that attack you're so willing to run that far? I understand your compassion for Molly and the others but you need to also consider your health."

"Fine...it's better than nothing. I'll be back before tonight – tell Molly I'll be coming home directly after I make the run," Kieren stated as he turned to the others.

"Are you sure that someone shouldn't go with you?" he shook his head.

"Taking someone with me will slow me down. I'll be fine. Just get back and help Molly as much as you can okay?" he asked.

"Yea, sure, just get back safely okay?" Rick received a nod and he and Jewel left.

"Those two are very close to you aren't they Kieren?" he glanced to Mr. Lancey.

"I guess...not many people are close enough to me to count as more than close companions. I don't think I have any real friends...at least...not that I know of," he explained.

"Adam, Jewel, Rick, and Eudora are your friends. They care so much about you, and if you asked I'm sure they'd help you all they could." Kieren smiled faintly.

"I guess...well...it's time to get a move on. I'll be back soon," he said as he ran out the door.

Molly had called Mr. Lancey on the phone twenty minutes later to chew his ear off about letting Kieren run all the way to Briarcatch when the sky pirates were so close, but he assured her that the fourteen miles wasn't too far, and that Kieren could do it. Though the words barely put Molly at ease she thanked him and hung up while assuring the others that they would be playing a silent game until the second sunrise. It was all they could do to comfort some of the smaller children.

Adam and the older kids were not assured no matter how much the adults tried to make them feel safe. everyone knew that the sky pirates were more than able to flatten an entire town in less than a day if they wanted to, which left them knowing that if those people chose to attack then all of them were as good as dead. Jewel sighed as she stared out the window watching for Kieren. Rick and Adam both were sitting beside her trying to see what would happen first – would the pirates attack at nightfall? Or would they come in the morning when Kieren was back?