Chapter 7: Rain

Kieren was starting to feel a bit board – currently he was staring out the window as the rain pelted the ship. He wanted to try and understand why they wouldn't let him help with anything he asked about no matter what it was. Despite this though the doctors had been acting strangely around him since the blood test which had him faintly worried. What was so strange about his blood that had them that spooked? He sighed and pulled the pillow closer to him as he pushed his knees towards his chest and laid his head on the pillow while he listened to the radio. He still hadn't figured out how it got a signal up here in the clouds – then again it was probably the best place to get a signal.

The music was a bit dreary but he'd heard it before the song was called Child King – a band that Jewel adored that took the natural works of their world and used it to make music that was normally really entertaining to listen to. The song fit his mood perfectly even though he felt a little less than pleasant at the moment. There was a knock at the door and he glanced back to see Vincent standing there watching him. He turned back to the window and the man sighed.

"I have the results of your blood test and I gotta say you've got some extremely abnormal blood." The boy moved a bit.

"What's so strange about it?" he asked half-heartedly.

"Well...Kieren have you ever had your blood tested before?" the boy shook his head.

"No, I don't get why I even needed it done," he said.

"Because we needed to know in case something happened and someone had to give you blood. But this is the problem – your blood type is one that not many people know about." Kieren looked at him for a moment.

"What?" he questioned.

"It's X type blood – remarkably rare and normally only found in a single bloodline. That means both your parents had to have another rare type but your mother had to have the same type as you. I bet your father had O negative blood because yours is X positive and your mother's was more than likely the same." Kieren tilted his head.

"Are you telling me that...I have some weird blood type because my mom did?" the man nodded.

"Your blood type is so uncommon that most people who have it are tested on to see what they can take in – like O type blood can give out blood of any kind yours can give and take any blood type because it modifies the cells to match its own. A dominating blood type. However, if induced into another person's blood it will modify to match their own. Which is to say it..." Vincent squirmed a bit.

"In other words my blood is more like blood that only a certain person would have and it's dominate to all other types," he filled in the words.

"Yes, see the thing is...X type blood is also called King blood because a great deal of the old world royals had X type blood. But you would have to be centuries old in order to be a child of one of them. This is most likely something carried in through the bloodlines." Kieren nodded.

"I'm different...I know that...but I still can't help you," he said.

"Kieren, right now we just want you to try – if you can't do anything then..." the boy sighed.

"I'm a prisoner here. This isn't any different from when I was with those other pirates...except none of you have hit me yet," Kieren told him.

"You aren't a prisoner, but we don't want you to get hurt from doing something you're not capable of..." Kieren glared at Vincent.

"I know how to cook, clean, sew, repair things, sort things, make orders, run deliveries, check matinence on mechanical objects – I can do several things so don't treat me like I'm a craquelature doll! I've grown up most of my life fending for myself the moment I step out of a door! Don't think I can't handle myself!" he snapped.