Chapter 12 - Failure

Rob

"You're coming home?" I deadpanned.

"Yes, I'll be there in California next month," Scott sighed.

"Why are you coming home?"

"I just called because mom told me to, she threatened I wouldn't have a place to stay if I didn't call you. Just, I'm coming home, that's all there is to it Robby."

Even in our older years my younger brother didn't stop with his stupid nickname, "Scott, you're supposed to be in Virginia, you're stationed in Virginia. I'm not understanding how that means you're coming back to California."

There was a long huff, "Look, some stuff went down, and I'm done with the military, I'm going to revamp some things and I just want to come home."

A headache was beginning to form. I felt the familiar throb right in my temple and I took my index finger, pressing it against the sore spot, attempting to soothe it, "Did something happen Scott? Is there something you-"

"Listen, Robby, I don't need your whole control, big brother, shit right now. I'm good, I've been saving my paychecks and have a good amount in my account. The only reason I'm staying with mom is because I need to... rest."

The way Scott expressed his need for a break concerned me, "What do you mean rest? Is everything okay Scott?"

"Robby, it's good, I'm good. I'll be home soon, and we can talk more then."

"I don't like this; I feel like you're hiding something from me. Did someone do something, say something? Are they treating you badl-"

"Jesus fuck Rob, I'm not in high school anymore. I can stick up for myself! I can make decisions for myself, I'm coming home, that's all. I want to come home and be with my family right now."

I sighed, "Okay Scott, let me know when you finalize all the details and I'll have a car waiting to pick you up. Actually no, I'll be there to pick you up."

"Who said I wanted to see you so soon after getting back from Virginia?" my younger brother said with a chuckle, and I rolled my eyes.

"You don't have a choice kid; I love you and I'll see you soon okay? Take care until then."

"I will Robby, love you too."

And with that we hung up and I couldn't escape the huff that left my body. Scott had always had difficulties, nothing major, he had a good head on his shoulders. It's just when it came to other people, he wasn't always the best. I dropped the phone on my desk and looked at my work laptop. Shaking my head I closed it, I couldn't be bothered with work after that conversation. My mind was on overdrive, and I couldn't stop thinking about my brother. Of course, I was happy he was coming home. But I was concerned as to why he was coming home.

Scott had been in the military for about four years. It had taken him longer to graduate high school due to some unforeseen circumstances and sadly during that time our father had passed away. It had hit Scott really hard, and he was depressed for a while, we all were. Then one day he told my mom and I he was going to the military, and I had only seen him a handful of times since then.

I could tell Scott was troubled and I tried to help him, but he didn't want help. He wanted to run and figure stuff out on his own. And the only thing I could do was support him, call him occasionally, and tell him I love him. He's twenty-three, a grown man, but I couldn't stop the worry from consuming me, I didn't want him to think he had to be independent and go through whatever he had going on alone.

I left my home office and went to the kitchen; it was dinner time and I needed to eat. All my energy had been drained so I took out some leftovers and went to the stove so I could reheat the food. I just couldn't shake the bad feeling I was getting about Scott, but I had to take solace in the fact that he'd be home soon, and I could take time to question him in person. I also knew that it wasn't too bad if he was waiting another month to leave and had prepared to do so. That thought eased my mind a little. I leaned against the island and ran a hand through my hair. It would be fine, and I was always a short plane ride from Virginia, I could be there in five hours if I needed to. I'd sprout wings and fly if I needed to. Though I know I'm acting a little crazy, I knew deep down Scott was okay. I don't know about 'good,' but he is at the very least okay.