Chapter 14

Chapter 14

His sobs are all I can hear. They split me in half, so painful that I wake up screaming. My heart thuds with exertion, aching so bad that I'm convinced I'm having a heart attack.

Now as I sit on the window seat in the lounge, I'm convinced that whatever is making him so grieved, it's tearing me inside out.

The tea tastes sweet in my mouth, despite my dark thoughts. It's the weekend and I'm ready to find answers. Rachel is coming over under the guise that we are just hanging out and having a girls' day, but I plan to question her about my dreams, about the Wolves, and Jace.

Rachel wants to talk to me. I'm sure of that ever since the library, and now the prime opportunity to let her. I can't forget the way she had stared at Steph's journal yesterday before she handed it back to me. She had looked at it with surprise, a recognition of what it was.

She had said she wants to help me. Maybe if she knows that Jace has told me about himself, she'll be willing to give me more information.

My phone rings and I set my tea down before answering it, "Hello?"

"Amelia, hey."

"Jace?" My heart thuds in my chest so loud that I'm sure he can hear it, "Hey."

"I...did you..." I wait for him to get out what he needs to say, and smile when he laughs nervously, "Let's do hot chocolate again."

"Yeah," I grin, pulling my knees up to my chest, "I'd like that."

"You free today?"

"I'm actually..." I bite my lip, unsure how to tell him I'm seeing Rachel today. He'll know that I'm going to ask her about what he can't answer for me. "I'm busy today. But what about tonight?"

There's a pause, a muffled conversation from the other side of the line. There's nothing coherent about it, as if English isn't even being spoken. I quickly recognize the words being exchanged are in Spanish.

"Hey, sorry, I was talking to my dad," Jace says, "That sounds good. I'll pick you up at...si—"

"Six, maybe?" I answer then laugh as I realize that I speak over him, "Sorry."

He chuckles and it's like a melody to my soul, "Six it is then."

After saying goodbye, I stare at the window, smiling like an idiot. He seems to be the only one who can make me smile from the heart again. I barely understand the connection we share but I know that I want to be as close to him as I can. There's something special about him.

I get dressed and make myself another cup of tea. Rachel is going to arrive in an hour or so, leaving me a bit of time to finish my homework. As I sit down at the dining room table with my books, I can't help but feel like I'm on the verge of finding out something about my sister.

+ + +

"So, have you been getting some sleep?" Rachel asks as she makes us another cup of tea. She insisted that I stay sitting and that she knows her way around a kitchen.

"Yeah, a bit," I say as I yawn. Rachel raises an eyebrow and I laugh, "Not really...I keep having these terrible dreams. And now they're not even at night apparently."

She passes me my mug and sit next to me at the counter, "Tell me about them."

I don't want to seem too eager to tell her so I shrug, "I don't want you to think I'm weird."

She seems to think what I said is funnier than what it was. I feel like I know why. "Try me."

"They're...well they always have wolves in them," I say and watch her stiffen—just like Jace had. I pretend to not notice and continue, "A black wolf in particular. He's massive, at least five feet tall and he has these glowing, am—"