Chapter 39

Image Citation: stirnal, jodie. "Pin by Jodie Stirnal on My Saves in 2021: George Weasley, Weasley Twins, Harry Potter." Pinterest, 28 Apr. 2021, www.pinterest.com/pin/759701030889568629/.

Chapter 39

"Mac. Let her go." It's Kiana that has him hesitate. His claws are half in my throat, but he pauses when his mate speaks. She shakes her head, "This isn't how we do things. You know that because of what Leon did. So let her go."

He does, though I'm not much better off. With the pressure released from my throat, I can breathe again but it feels like inhaling nails. I bow over and hack away. Eamonn huddles over me, his little face scrunch up in frightened tears. I try to tell him that it's fine, but I can barely see straight. And, honestly, I'm halfway crying myself.

I'm quickly becoming well-versed with the look of someone who wants to kill.

Kiana comes up beside me and inspects the damage, "Fuck it, Mac! You should have been gentler—she brought him back. What the—Where do you think you're goin'?"

He's disappeared into the thick cover of the forest. I can't look away from the trees. I'm convinced that he's going to change his mind and come back. He wants me dead—I've never seen someone so committed to snuffing me out like a candle.

I have finally caught my breath, and Kiana puts her hand on my back.

"C'mon. Alpha wants to have a word with you," She glances down at Eamonn as we walk into the cabin, "You little runt—you're going to get it good when your Da gets ahold of you. What the hell were you thinkin'! You had us worried sick over you."

"He..." I clear my throat, but it doesn't do much to help the scratchiness, "He was warning me."

"You went all the way to her house by yourself?" She screams so loud that we both flinch. As we stop outside a closed door, she mutters and knocks, "This just keeps getting better."

I don't hear him say to come in, but I assume that he had told Kiana through their mental link. She opens the door and lets me go in. This is the room I had a vision of...where Adrian and Mac were talking about me. Adrian sits on the bed with paperwork and binders scattered around him. He sets the papers he's been reading and stands up.

Eamonn goes from Kiana to me, but there isn't much I can do against Adrian. He's a hulking beast of a man and dwarfs me in size.

"Come'ere," He beckons his son as he gets on his one knee. Eamonn very slowly walks in front of me, eyes cast down and hands clasped behind his back, "Are you hurt?"

"No."

His father's eyes give him a thorough once-over to confirm this. He glances up at Kiana, who only shakes her head.

"Good. Now," The greens of his eyes are pale like the leaves or a green quartz. "What were you thinking?"

"I'm sorry!" Eamonn blurts out and wraps his arms around his father. "I was only doing what I was supposed to! She needed to know about the silver chamomile!"

"What silver chamomile?" Adrian pulled back, "Did you touch any—"

"No. But her Healer was trying to give it to her."

I can see Adrian's anger falter and he pats his son on the back.

"It's not okay. This is not okay." He murmurs into the boy's mop of dirty blond hair, shutting his eyes and sighing, "We'll talk later. Go with Kiana—get fed and take a shower."

"Yes, sir," He turns around with his head bowed, like a puppy with its tail between his legs. He looks up at me but continues to Kiana.

"I'll tuck him in," Kiana leads him out of the room.