Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Blue eyes like ice. Hair like snow. A demeanor as hard and serious as the Guide herself. Iphigenia watches me as I sit up.

We're in the Plane of the Dead, the meadow. But there is no sight of Hekate or Steph. It's only me and my alter-ego.

"I...How can we look alike?" My head spins as I watch my mirror image step towards me. Her mouth is set, and she is far sterner than I am. Her silent presence is intimidating, whereas mine is easily passed over.

"I don't need to answer that for you—but you are me. Just like the Death Prophets before you." Her eyelashes are crisp white, and her lips are pale blue. She is Death. "I've waited a long time for this day, Amelia."

"To meet?"

"To be free."

She is dressed in a silk robe that trail behind her in wisps. Just like Hekate, she seems to glide along the ground, though her bare feet crunch against the grass unlike the Moon Goddess. Her arms are clasped in front of her, shoulders rolled back, and chin up like she can perfectly balance an egg on the crown on her head.

"Your family's line is the one of the only surviving bloodlines of one my children's—the daughter that inherited my abilities when I passed. Which means that my spirit is born into the Kenzington bloodline often."

"Why not the others?"

"That is a question for the Goddesses—though I doubt they'll give you an answer," She glances at me from the corner of her eye, "There are going to be questions you'll never have answers for. I suggest you get used to it quickly."

"My family...they locked you away," I say quietly. She smiles when she sees the many questions that plague me.

"Your family has successfully hidden their true identity for almost a century now. They learnt from the Prophet of Death Breanna that charmed silver is an effective way to keep their Guides asleep without killing themselves. She had showed taught her children before she went back to The Order to live out her days. They passed it down with each generation."

She looks up at the red sky as she continues, her voice soft like the wind.

"But Orion eventually found the family line and has systemically hunted them down. It is what drove some members of your family to this part of the country. My soul has been buried in your direct line since."

"So Steph finding out about our heritage isn't just lucky timing," My heart clenches tightly as she meets my gaze, "It had all been orchestrated."

"Hekate took charge of me after Orion had made it clear that he is hellbent on destroying the Goddesses. I've been a pawn in his game since," For the first time, her eyes flicker. It's something I recognize all too well. Discomfort and vulnerability. "She has done her best to keep the identity of my daughters' bloodline a secret—even from Her sisters and Their Prophets. But as Orion drew closer to finding you, Hekate found it necessary to awaken me again. And so, she began visiting your sister in her dreams, which led her to—"

"Did you trick her into this whole thing?" I stare at her in disbelief, "Don't tell me that you two willingly sacrificed my sister so that you and I could live."

"Sacrifice? No. Her death was inevitable—but the Goddess and I worked to make sure it had meaning. She's worked hard to make sure of that too—by reaching out to you," She murmurs, "Stephanie is one of my children—just as you are, Amelia. You are my blood. I would never willingly give one of you to that beast. Her death is something I feel just as strongly as you do. But I hope you find comfort in the fact that you can still see her. Here—whenever you like."