Chapter 43

Chapter 43

"Amelia, put these in the shed," My dad hands me the ropes from Old Man T's deck.

As I hold the weathered ropes and watch my father finish tying down the boat with new ones, I feel...happy. Like the first sun ray that breaks through the clouds of a leftover hurricane. My life is moving forward from the bad and getting on with the new. The good.

Steph bursts out laughing as our dad curse and bitches about Old Man T, "Some things don't change."

I smile at her, and she gives my shoulder a squeeze. She glances over at Mom, who is standing at the end of the dock. She has her arms crossed as she watches the sea churn and breathe around us.

She wraps her arm around me as I stand beside her, but doesn't take her eyes off the ocean, "You seem happier, baby."

I look down at her arm that rested against my hip. She has a golden bracelet, almost identical to mine.

"Nena?"

"Yeah...I am."

She pats my hip with a smile, "I miss her too. But...she's with us." I don't have time to question her before she adds, "I want to meet this boy you've been seeing. I only catch glimpses of him, baby. It's like you're hiding him."

"Emily! Can you help them?" We both look up at the shed. Adrian, Kiana, and Mac all stand there.

As she heads towards them, I say, "I'll bring him over tomorrow."

"Good! Sam—we're going to be having company tomorrow. Mellie is bringing her Jace!"

He grumbles something in response but waves me over to help him. I drop the ropes by the side and jump on the boat quickly to help.

"Jace—he related to Detective Abel?" He asks after we've secured everything.

"Yeah—they're cousins," I decide to not elaborate on how many people in our town are his cousins.

My father is quiet as he goes around and double-checks his work, "...Is he the reason why you've been getting in trouble lately?"

I blink. He doesn't seem angry. If anything he sounds like he already knows the answer. Still, I can't let Jace take the blame of something that isn't his fault. Truth be told, I wouldn't be in any of this if it wasn't for Steph. But only one person can be blamed for all the situations I had found myself in.

"No, that's me," I clear my throat when he makes eye contact with me, "Jace is a good guy. He wouldn't put me in those tough places like that—I just...I've been trying to find my way since Steph died."

He tosses me a rare smile and wraps his arms around me, "I know, sweetie. Your mom has been really worried about leaving you alone."

"And you?"

"I knew you would stumble...but it was something that was needed to be done. You needed to find your place. Steph was like the sun to you—and you had lost that sun when we lost her. I know you don't always agree with my parenting methods all the way—with how I throw you and your sister into the deep end—but I look at how strong she was. And I see how strong you're becoming."

It is as he pulls away that I catch the glimpse of it. The setting sun hit the surface of his watch and reflected into my eyes. His silver watch. He follows my gaze.

"I see that you're missing something," He doesn't look surprised, but his eyes are creased in worry, "You need to put it back on, Amelia."

"The dreams—our family...you know about it all, don't you?" I stop as the awful realization strikes me, "You...you knew about Steph..."