Chapter 28

Warning: This chapter includes sexual themes/suggestions

Chapter 28

All the air in my lungs escapes as I connect with the ground. I get up quickly, but not before Aiden's leg shoots out and into my chest. I'm down again, landing on my back with a loud umph.

"You're still leaving yourself wide open when you get to your feet! No Wolf is going to let an opportunity like that slide—they're not going to let you recover!" He barks out as I pull myself to my feet again. "We don't fight fair, Amelia."

"How's she doing?"

We both look up at Mira. She's walking into the ring with an easy smile, looking at the blood and dirt that covers me approvingly.

"She's a good fighter. Good endurance and agility," He nods my way, "But she plays fair. Assumes everyone else does too."

"Aiden's right—you don't have the brute strength of a werewolf, or even a lycanthrope of your age that's grown up as a Wolf," Mira crosses her arms and regards me carefully, "You need to use every advantage you can get."

I nod, wiping my mouth, "I can go again."

Aiden shakes his head, "You're still going through your Heat cycle. We'll end the fighting for today. Go run to the territory perimeter and back—then you'll be done."

"Before you go," Mira braces her arm around my shoulder and leads me away from Aiden, "I want to get an idea of how far along you are through your Heat."

I would willingly run the entire perimeter of Breccian territory than talk about my Heat with an Alpha that I barely have known for more than a few months.

After Jace and I had done the dirty in the kitchen, I woke up to most intense fever I've ever experienced. And thus started the beginning of my very first Heat. It's been both hell on Earth and the best sex I've ever had, but I'm more than happy to be in the last stretch of it. Between the most excruciating spasms and cramps, and the never-ending flush of heat I feel whenever Jace is around, I've quickly learnt that Heats are like a regular period on steroids.

Apparently, I'm not going through a proper Heat because I haven't shifted yet, so there hasn't a risk of me getting pregnant. Still, Jace and I have kept our distance...for the most part. I'm still mortified from having to hear the talk with Doc, despite already having gone through it years ago with my parents. And pups—as the Wolves call them—are made the exact same way as babies are.

"I feel fine—and I stopped...well—"

"Bleeding?" She asks with a grin, "That's good to hear. Good timing too."

"You're welcome?" I laugh nervously. "Mallory said that I'll go through Heat every season."

She nods, "Yeah, it's a little annoying but four times a year is better than what those poor humans go through."

No one can figure out why I'm only presenting with a proper Heat now, though Mallory and Mira conclude that it's because I have finally met my mate and my Guide has surfaced. I can only pin it down as yet another thing that's going wrong in my body. I can't shift which means that I can't communicate with the other Wolves telepathically, starting my Heat cycles years later than any female Wolf has, can't control my visions, and so many other things that it makes my head hurt. I need to find out what's short-circuiting and fix it.

"Don't worry," Mira's voice brings me back to the moment, "I know that these past months have been difficult. You've been through so much, Amelia. We'll help you through this."

I smile politely while she walks away in the direction of the packhouse. Aiden clears his throat and shouts something off at me in Spanish, still unaware that I can understand him.