Chapter Sixteen

Petra reached to her collar and fiddled with the ribbon that hung around her neck for the fourth time.

"Petra, calm down. Everything will be fine, alright?" Levi whispered, touching her wrist lightly and guiding it back down to her lap.

"You're probably right, but still. I don't understand how you aren't terrified." She said.

You're never scared, Petra thought. Not of anything. Not of titans, not of superiors, not of the unknown. Nothing.

"It isn't that bad, Petra."

"Yes, it is!" She yelled in a hushed voice. Sighing heavily, she added: "You heard what that MP said. If you aren't out of here in three days, they'll kill you."

Levi scoffed. "Like hell they will."

That arrogance is what's going to get you killed, she thought angrily.

"Look, everything is gonna get worked out. Erwin and Hanji ought to be here soon, they'll know what to do."

"And if they don't?"

"When have you ever known either of them to not have a plan?" He asked. "Besides, if they don't have a plan, then we'll make one. We're Scouts, remember? We've faced way worse things than a couple of MPs who don't know their place."

"I know, I know, but still . . ." She trailed off. "The MPs have a hell of a lot more power than we do, who knows what they can do?"

"They still have to abide by the law." Levi says.

"Says you." She muttered sarcastically.

"Hey, I said they had to follow the law, not me." He shrugs. "At least if I do it, I'll know how to get away with it."

"Very funny, Levi." Petra frowned.

"I'm just being honest." A sly grin crossed his face. "I bet I could kill ten of them and make it look like an accident."

"Levi!"

"Okay, okay, I won't do it." He tosses his hands up in mock surrender. "But my point still stands: they have to abide by the same laws we do. Erwin and that bastard Nile report to the same guy—Darius Zackly."

"When has he ever helped us?"

Before Levi could respond, there was a knock at the door.

"Levi? Petra? Y'all in there?" Hanji's voice radiated through the wood. She knocked again, and again.

Levi opened the door just as Hanji went to knock again, but by now he was used to her antics and successfully dodged. He gave a questioning look before stepping aside and allowing Hanji and Erwin to enter.

Erwin was the first to speak.

"How are you feeling, Petra?" He asked, his deep baritone shockingly gentle.

"I'm alright, sir. Thank you." She nodded, her hand pressed against her heart in a salute. Had she been able, she would've jumped to her feet and properly saluted her commander.

"That's good to hear." Erwin said, smiling. He turned to Levi before speaking again. "And how are you?"

"I'm fine." Levi's words were curt.

"There's no need to be rude," Hanji muttered sarcastically.

"Says the person who almost decked me in the face thirty seconds ago." Levi countered. She scoffed and crossed her arms, a soft hmph escaping her lips.

Erwin ignored them and continued speaking: "We got your message, and we're just as shocked as you."

"Do you know why they would do this?" Petra asked.