Chapter Six

"The doctor said you need to do these stretches everyday," Levi said, wrapping his hand around Petra's and gently bending her arm back at the elbow.

"I know," She grimaces. "But that doesn't mean they don't hurt."

"I know, and I'm sorry." Levi continues to do the stretches. "Just remember: these first few weeks are the shittiest, but they get better. I promise it'll get better."

Petra can't manage her usual smile--now she just focuses on the stretches, and Levi's hand wrapped around her own.

Somehow, with Levi here, everything is a little bit easier.

"Are you ready to do your legs or do you want to take a break?" Levi asks, releasing her arm.

"Let's do it and get it over with." Petra responds. "If we get it all done in one go, it won't take as long and won't hurt as bad."

"Good thinking." Levi goes to the foot of the bed and rolls the off-white blanket over to one side and lifts Petra's ankle with one hand. "Okay, first push on my palm as hard as you can."

Petra does as she's told and obediently pushes her foot against Levi's hand--she strains herself and tries to push harder than before.

"Okay, release pressure." Levi changes his grip and adds, "Now push again... good. I'll start the next stretch, okay?"

Petra nods, moving slowly along with Levi as he bends her leg at the knee.

His movements are gentle, but secure--despite the deep ache, she feels safe with Levi guiding her every movement.

Levi gently puts her leg down, rolls the blanket over to the opposite side, and they repeat the same process with her other leg.

"You did good, darling." Levi mumbles, pulling the covers over both Petra's legs and sitting in the stool beside the bed. "If you'd like, I could get you some ice for your joints, I'm sure we have some and it might help the ache."

"I'm okay, Levi. Thank you." Petra says, mustering a small smile.

They sit in silence for a moment or two before Petra asks, "Levi... how did you manage to get out of the attack unscathed? Our entire squad was slaughtered, but you don't look like you were even in the fight. How did you manage that?"

"According to Erwin, I'm not totally unscathed, but I'm okay." He pauses. "But... it's a long story."

"We have plenty of time," Petra says. "And what do you mean 'not totally unscathed?'"

Levi sighs heavily. "It's complicated. And Erwin is convinced I injured my leg when I fell on a patch of hardened titan skin, and that's thanks to Mikasa talking shit."

"I'm sure she wasn't talking shit. She was probably just worried about you. And what kind of injury?"

"He says I might have a fractured ankle," Levi says, ignoring the growing throb in his leg and instead saying, "But I'm fine."

"Might?" Petra gives a confused look.

"Well, I haven't actually gotten it checked." He says, adding again: "But I'm fine."

"I doubt you're fine, Levi. I know you, and you would say you're fine if your arm had just been ripped off. You refuse to show any kind of pain or sign your human." Petra shakes her head in frustration. "Why won't you accept that you're human?"

Levi sighs heavily from aggravation, running his hand across his face and through his hair.

"Look, it's complicated." He drops his hand. "Hell, I don't even understand it and I'm the one affected!"