Chapter Two

"It's by the grace of God that she's alive right now," Commander Erwin says, crossing his arms and giving a sideways glance to Captain Levi, who stood to his right with a scowl. "The doctor said that if she'd been angled any different or her blade dug any deeper, she would've died on impact."

"I know," Levi mutters. "I was there when he said it, and I was the one who brought her here."

Commander Erwin laughs half-heartedly and claps Levi's shoulder, smiling.

"Look, I don't know what's going on between you and Petra, but I know it's something--something more than a mere connection between a Captain and his subordinate." Commander Erwin begins, and waves his hand in dismissal when Levi jumps to his defense. "Whatever it may be, just be careful. You and I both know that we've all been through shit that messes with our heads, and there are two outcomes when people like us get close: a bond stronger than anything, or a match made in hell."

Levi didn't bother arguing with the Commander because he knew that he was right; a relationship between Petra and himself was something that only happened in story books, and if by some chance it did happen, it wouldn't last long.

Levi refused to let himself fall in love again. Love isn't for everyone, and it certainly isn't for a man like Captain Levi Ackerman.

"I know what you're thinking," Commander Erwin says, and receives only an arched brow in response. "About Petra. Knowing you, you're probably thinking a woman like her could never love a man like you."

"And what about it?" Levi grumbles. He hated the way the Commander could read him. They had known each other for so long, they were practically brothers and the Commander knew Levi inside and out, but has been sworn to secrecy whenever questioned about the expressionless Captain's tragic backstory.

"What I'm saying is that you're right," The Commander's words shocked Levi enough to elicit a full response of confusion. Commander Erwin smiles before adding, "Or you're wrong. You'll never know if you don't try."

"Now isn't the time for romance," Levi says. "All Petra needs to worry about is getting better, that's it."

"Yes, I suppose you're right." Commander Erwin gestures to Levi's leg. "And so do you."

Levi rolls his eyes and says, "I am perfectly fine."

"You are not fine and I know it," The Commander narrows his eyes and stares intently at Levi. Maybe if he stares long enough, Levi will understand. "You took a hard hit when you were fighting the Female Titan, and Mikasa is a witness--"

"Mikasa didn't witness shit." Levi snaps.

"She said that when you were on solid ground again, you had a limp because you fell onto an area of hardened titan skin." Commander Erwin sighs heavily. "Just because everyone else thinks you're indestructible doesn't mean you actually are, and one day that will catch up to you. You need to take it easy before something worse happens."

"I will be fine, Erwin. I didn't get the rank I have out of sheer luck, it's because I'm damn good at what I do." Levi turns from the desk and shoulders his jacket. "I'm going to see Petra and see if her condition has improved. We'll continue this discussion later,"

Levi starts for the door, but Commander Erwin grabs his arm.

"No, Levi. You will listen to me and we'll settle this now," Commander Erwin releases Levi's arm. "You are injured, and you need medical treatment. Who knows, you could have a fracture and you may never walk the same."

"That doesn't matter, I'll be fine." Levi turns again, but a striking pain through his lower leg stops him in his tracks.

"See? You can't even turn without pain. You need medical treatment, Levi." He says but Levi doesn't respond. "How will you be a captain when you can barely walk?"

Something inside Levi finally broke.

"How can I be a captain when my entire squad is dead?" Levi shouts, all the pent up emotions spilling into his words. "How can I be a captain when I have no one to command? The only surviving member might not make it through the night, and I'll be damned if I'm stopped by a fractured ankle. They died and I didn't, so I have no place to complain about pain."

"Levi--"

"No." Despite how hard he tries, Levi's voice still trembles as he speaks. "If I'm still breathing, then I'm fine. I don't need coddling, what I need is to get a plan so I can say for certain that my men didn't die for nothing. I refuse to let them die in vain."

"I understand what you're saying, Levi," Commander Erwin's words are soft and slow, a stark contradiction to his towering appearance. "But you can't do that if you can barely walk."

"I'll be fine." Levi turns toward the door again, and again Commander Erwin stops him.

"You're strong, I know that. You weren't given the title Humanity's Strongest for nothing." He shakes his head and sighs. "But not when you get like this."

"Like what?" Levi scowls.

"Like this." Commander Erwin gestures broadly at Levi. "You can't honour their memory if you're dead yourself."

Before Levi can compose an argument, Commander Erwin continues.

"You will sit out all the missions until you're completely healed, even if I have to tie you to a chair." Levi begins another attempt to counter, but Commander Erwin ignores him. "That is an order, Levi."

"Erwin, you don't understand--" Levi starts, but Commander Erwin cuts him off.

"What I understand, Levi, is that you and Petra are the only surviving members of your squad, and even that isn't a guarantee." Sitting in his desk chair, Commander Erwin massages his temples. He drops his hands and stares intently at Levi. "What you need to do is heal yourself, and be with Petra. Make sure her family knows, but don't leave her side." He pauses before adding, "She needs someone who won't leave her."

"I wasn't planning on leaving her..." Levi murmurs, the anger building inside him suddenly halted by the thought of Petra.

"Good. My orders still stand, but we'll discuss the details later. Now, you need to go see Petra. She needs you now more than ever." Commander Erwin smiles softly before standing and giving Levi a firm salute, who responds likewise.