Chapter One

Petra Ral, a scout hand-picked by Captain Levi Ackerman himself, clung to a spider's thread of life.

Her comrades died beside her, each of their bodies mangled in unholy ways, and she laid motionless at the base of the tree.

There was crimson splatter along the bark, and bile rose in her throat as she realized it was her blood that painted the tree.

She couldn't move and every breath sent shooting pains through her chest; with every breath, she feared it would be her last.

Her vision was blurred with blood and tears, and black splotches grew with every passing second. She could count the seconds as her pulse throbbed in her fingertips.

Why am I not dead? Petra thought. A horrifying thought crossed her mind. What if I already am?

The only sound over the buzzing in her ears is the whiz of an unknown soldier's ODM gear. Maybe someone survived, and maybe they'll help me... maybe I'll survive.

Petra gathered what little strength she had left and cried out to them--she spoke no coherent words, just a frail, guttural cry.

Footsteps crunched over bloodstained grass, and Petra strained herself to keep her eyes open, no matter how great the black splotches grew. 

"Never close your eyes," Erwin said proudly as he stood before the Scouting Regiment, preparing them for a mission where they will leave and most will not come back home.

We sat atop our horses, ODM gear secured tightly with multiple straps, and held a firm salute.

No matter how terrified all of us were, we refused to show it. We hid behind a facade of bravery and prayed we'd live another day.

Beside me, Captain Levi was mounted on his black mare. His stoic expression was unfaltering, but the way his knuckles had drained of all colour as he clenched his fist in a salute showed how scared he really was.

He was always cold and uncaring, but a select few people have seen who he truly is--a man who cares deeply for those he loves, and would lay down his own life if it meant his friends got to live until tomorrow.

Erwin continues his speech, saying: "Never close your eyes. If you are laying on the battlefield and you can see the world around you, don't close your eyes--if you close your eyes, you may never see that world again. You are soldiers, all of you, so you will die like soldiers, and soldiers die with their eyes open."

Her eyes began to droop, and a flash of emerald green sends a wave of comfort through her.

"Petra," Captain Levi knelt beside her. "What... hey, keep your eyes open. Are you okay? Can you move?"

"No." As he speaks, the realization of Petra's position finally hits: her chest is arched against the base of the tree, and her legs sprawl behind; the bark digs into her chin.

"Okay," He mutters, scanning her condition up and down. He gnaws his lip in thought before shaking his head and saying, "I need to check if your back is broken... that means I have to touch you, and it will probably hurt."

"Well, just do it and get it over with." She sighs heavily and prepares for the worst. "Please."

The Captain takes a deep breath, and gently lifts her cape, exposing her tattered uniform--it's torn and bloody, and had this been any other situation, she was sure he'd lecture her for her uncleanliness.

Through blurred vision, Petra sees the Captain move and braces herself for his touch.

The Captain's face falls slack as he pulls his hand away. She was too weak to give him a confused look.