Chapter Seven

There was a light knock on the door, the conversations of nothingness momentarily halted.

The knob turned, and a mess of red frills slipped through the crack.

"Good afternoon, Petra." Marie said with a grin, holding two boxes behind her back. "How've you been?" She asked, but didn't wait for a response. "I have a surprise for you!"

Marie swiftly held the boxes in front of her, and held the smaller out to Petra.

"Oh?" Petra opens her hand. "What is it?"

"You gotta open it to know that, silly." Marie places the little box in Petra's hand. "So open it!"

Inside the box was a yellow ribbon, wrapped in a neat bow. The ends were frayed slightly, but nothing that a few stitches couldn't fix.

To say it was a colour as plain as 'yellow' is an insult--it was one of the most vibrant yellows Levi or Petra had ever seen, the kind only worn by children of the highest nobles.

"Do you like it?" Marie asked shyly. "I saw it at the market today, and I knew you liked the colour yellow, so I bought it. I also got one for myself!"

Marie spins around, pointing to her hair that had somewhat been tamed by a green bow tied in the back.

"It's beautiful, Marie." Petra fiddles with the ribbon. "Thank you, I love it."

"Good." Marie sits at the foot of the bed and smiles, before jumping up again. "Oh! I almost forgot--Captain, I got something for you too!"

"For me?" Levi raises an eyebrow.

"Yes, for you. I couldn't get something for Petra and not for you too." She shakes her head, fingers tracing the outline of the bigger box. "That'd be rude, or at least that's what mama says. So I got you this."

Marie holds out the box, but Levi doesn't move. She shakes it a little, and nudges his arm.

"Well, are you gonna take it?" Marie giggles. Hesitantly, Levi takes the box. "Aren't you gonna open it? Look inside!"

Finally, Levi opens the lid and is greeted by a thin layer of wax paper. Marie waves her hand and gestures for him to continue.

Slowly, he pulls back the paper and struggles to hide his shock and excitement.

Laying on another layer of wax paper was a blade with a beautifully engraved wooden handle--fine craftsmanship in every detail.

"Marie, I can't--" Levi begins, holding the box out but Marie cuts him off.

"Can't accept it? Too late." Marie arches her head away and grins. "You already accepted the box and therefore what's inside the box. No take-backs."

"That is not how that works," Levi counters.

"It is now." She says and Levi scoffs. "Can't you just say thank you and move on?"

"Well, people don't normally give me of all people gifts." Levi examines the blade again. "I guess I'm just not used to it. Hey, wait, how much was this?" -

"None of your business." Marie nods curtly. "And if no one ever has given you a gift, then I'll be the first. Happy birthday or whatever."

"It isn't my birthday." Levi says.

"Well, I don't know when your birthday is, so consider this either a late gift or early gift." She pauses. "When is your birthday anyway?"

"None of your business." Levi mocks. Marie rolls her eyes.