Chapter Twelve

She was soft. Emotionally, physically, and mentally—she realized that as she laid in bed, staring at the ceiling, as a deep ache coursed through her whole body.

Would Levi come to her that night? Petra wondered. Maybe he's in the sitting room with Marie, telling her his tales as a Scout.

Maybe he's in father's study, swapping war stories over a hot cup of tea—black, of course. Levi never drank any tea other than black.

Maybe he's angry at her. Maybe he isn't doing any of those things, and is instead brooding alone in the spare room down the hall.

Petra couldn't push away the tears that prickled in her eyes any longer, and she simply let the little droplets soak into her pillow.

Levi was surely angry with her—she saw the look in his eyes as he lifted her pathetic body from the water.

The worst part, she thought, was that he had every reason to be angry.

Before Petra had made her foolish choice, she spoke privately to Levi. She spoke not like a soldier, but like a woman—she begged her stay at her side throughout the night, to hold her and love her, and tell her she was safe.

Now, she wondered, if Levi even remembered her tearful request or if his memory was tainted with the image of her collapsed in the tub.

There was a knock on the door. Was it Marie, or mama?

The knob turned, and Levi's face was illuminated for just a moment as the hall lights grazed his features, but when he shut the door the shadows engulfed him again.

Neither spoke.

Petra hastily wiped away her tears and prayed the darkness hid her.

After a long bout of silence, Levi asked: "How are you feeling?"

"I'm alright," Petra lied. She spoke with a false confidence, ignoring the deep ache coursing through her veins as a result of her stupidity.

"I don't know why you would do something so foolish." Levi muttered, leaning against the doorframe and crossing his arms.

"I thought I could do it . . . " Her voice was no longer confident, and instead grew ashamed once again. "I'd done so much already, I just . . . I just thought I could do it."

"I understand, I guess. But still, it was reckless and you could've been seriously hurt." She could almost see his scowl through the darkness. "I thought you of all people would know better."

"I know." She whispered timidly. "I know . . . "

"But we all do stupid things, don't we?" Levi said suddenly. Petra was taken aback. "I guess it's just human nature to be stupid. And we're allowed to be stupid from time to time, but there are some things that shouldn't be handled with anything but total focus."

As he spoke, Levi pushed himself off the door and walked over to the bed, the heavy scent of black tea and soap wafting in his wake.

He stood at the side of Petra's bed, silent and unmoving, and Petra was unsure of what to do next.

Thinking little of her next actions, she slowly slid across the small bed toward the wall, lifting the blanket and patting the empty spot.

"Tsk," Levi muttered, sliding his shoes off and placing them neatly at the side of the bed. "I can't stay with you for long, you know. What if one of your parents come in? Or Marie?"

Petra shrugged, mumbling, "I guess we'll deal with that if it happens."

"You sound so sure that it won't happen," Laying flat on his back, his head squarely on the second pillow, he gave her a look that somehow combined amusement and annoyance. "We both know what happens when you get overconfident."

"I suppose you're right," Petra said, turning herself gently so her head rested partially on Levi's shoulder and partially on his chest—while she wasn't able to move too much, she was determined to lay as close as possible.

They laid in silence for a long while, with Levi's hand fiddling with the fabric of Petra's nightdress and Petra basking in his warmth.

"You know what this reminds me of," Petra said against the material of Levi's shirt.

"Hm?" He hummed.

"The night I snuck into your quarters after everyone else had gone to bed. Do you remember it?" Through the darkness, Petra studied Levi's features—a sharp jaw, a pointed nose, thin lips, and hollowed eyes.

"Of course I remember it." He replied through a sigh. "I don't think I could forget, honestly. I wasn't sure when or where you'd gotten so brave, but when you come to my door that night, standing with only your nightdress and boots, I knew it was something worth remembering."

Levi spoke with total candor as he relived the moment, smiling faintly to himself. He remembers the sound of her soft knocks, he remembers the way the candlelight illuminated her and the room to the point where he wasn't sure if he was dreaming, he remembers how warm she was when she laid beside him.

Maybe more than that, he remembers the sweet smell of vanilla and strawberries that had been left behind the next morning. They were careful not to be seen coming out of his quarters together, especially since no one saw them go in, and so they left at separate times—Levi went first, and Petra waited about ten minutes before she greeted her squad and prepared the morning's coffee.

What she had done in those ten minutes, Levi didn't know, but what he did know is that when he'd gone back to finish his paperwork, there was the faintest smell of vanilla and strawberries lingering.

Maybe he'd imagined it, but he swore that every time she'd gone into his quarters, she left her beautiful mark behind.

Perhaps it was his heightened senses—Kenny always said he was different, stronger in many other ways, and noticed things most other people wouldn't. He wondered if he'd asked someone if they could smell the sweet odor of vanilla and strawberries, if they'd be able to.

While Levi had been caught in his thoughts, Petra's breathing had evened out and he was sure she'd fallen asleep.

However, Levi didn't move. He knew he couldn't stay for much longer because the longer he stayed, the risk of being caught was greater—but he just couldn't bring himself to move.

Levi wished he could stay there, wrapped up in threadbare blankets with Petra's head pressed against his chest, forever—no, he wished he could stay there for a time longer than forever because forever just wasn't enough.