Evan's POV: Foolish

All night, I tossed and turned. I had feelings for the Matheson Slayer. I scowled up at the dark ceiling. She was a fucking Slayer and I was a Tracer. Not only that but she was a Matheson. Of all the people I had feelings for- it had to be for a Matheson.

"Fuck me," I snarled up at the night sky. "Stupid Bennett," I kept my scowl up at the ceiling.

Why had I listened to my brother?

He was the only person that I had told that I had feelings for Alexandra. Of course, he had known. My brother knew me too well.

I had pushed the feelings to darkest recesses of my mind. There was no way that I could have feelings for her. We weren't going to end up together. It was the classic story of Romeo and Juliet.

I let out a loud groan.

Romeo and Juliet, I snorted with an eyeroll. That was laughable.

              I shot up from my bed so I could clear my head. All I wanted to do was go out for a run so that I could think of anything else. Instead, I settled on making my way out to the patio.

It felt like by telling my brother of my feelings- it made them real. Now all I wanted to do was go see her.

Her amber eyes popped into my head.

"Fuck me," I cussed again under my breath. How could I be so delusional? How could I have developed feelings for my natural enemy?

She had vampire blood and I had wolves' blood. We were natural born enemies that were set on destroying each other. My own sister had tried to kill her. She had her priorities straight while I didn't.

Instead, I had fallen for her.

           The story was repeating itself. My own father had fallen in love with her grandmother.. My understanding is that she had left him for someone else. Now my father was bitter and goes as far as to bad-mouth the Mathesons.

It was pointless to me to badmouth them- there was only one left. Alexandra.

I couldn't help frowning up at the night sky.

Why had I fallen in love with her?

My life could have been simple, if I had never met her. She was strong- much stronger than I was. And- she was stunning. Her amber eyes seemed to glow even against the bright mid-day sun. They were mesmerizing to me. And her smile just drew me in. It had drawn me in since the first time I had seen it. It was rare that I got that wide happy smile but when I received it, my heart fluttered. Her hearing was better than mine so she was probably able to hear my erratic beating heart. It was irritating that a Slayer made me feel this way. I was supposed to marry a girl from a well-known Tracker family. Things were supposed to be simple for me, but now – I was distressed. She had stolen my sanity. I was head over heals over a Slayer-girl. Now, nothing mattered to me –and that included my family. All I wanted to do was make sure that she was protected. I had offered to partner up with her during Shadow Night. She had seen it as a way to show our alliance but in reality, I wanted to be near her. When I was near her – the world seemed to speed up and we slowed down. Every breath she took and every smile – I absorbed. Every pore of my body wanted her near me but there was a smaller part of me—the wolf-part that wanted to tear her to shreds. Murder her. She had vampire blood and was a dangerous predator. All of my instincts said that I needed to destroy her. Someone like her should not exist. I knew what was going on in her. I also knew that she was doing her best to fight it. The longer she fought it, the easier it would be for me to be near her. Eventually my instincts would go away but for now they had to be buried.

              I took a seat and took a deep breath. New York City was awake. The city that never sleeps was wide awake. It was ready for everything that it had to offer including all the monsters of the night. I could hear the people below, laughing and partying, and here I was watching and listening to them. I was just brooding over a Slayer instead of enjoying myself like them on a Thursday night. I should be out there dancing and partying just like the Ordanes. I should be out there with a girl from a Tracker family but instead I was thinking about Alexandra.

Life was really unfair to me.

            Selena, my twin sister, seemed to have it all figured it out. I couldn't even talk to her. We had shared everything before and now we were drifting apart. That was a lie. I was drifting apart from her and my family. The only person that I could confide in was my brother Bennett. I missed talking to him. He knew what to say to me to make me feel better. Bennett knew how to get me out of my own head.

I did wish I could talk to my sister. She had been my best friend and the person that most understood me. We had always understood each other. Now I was afraid of saying the wrong thing because she would tell my father. How much I wished that I could talk to her about Alexandra.

If it had been any other girl, she would have told me to stop overthinking it and to go for her. She would have said that I was a Lancer, and I could go after any girl I wanted. But now she was preoccupied with our family image and legacy. She and the rest of my family were afraid of everything we would lose when Alexandra took over.

Personally, I didn't care about the money or properties. We would be  fine but what they were really afraid of losing was all the power. Since the Matheson Slayers had been murdered, my family had taken over. We had risen to the top of the food chain to control everything. My family meddled in all political aspects across the world. My father had spoken the right words and made all the right moves to become the most powerful man that influenced not only our world but also the Ordane's world.

              The previously great Veronica Matheson had been murdered. Not only was she murdered but so were her sons. She had left only one living descendant and unfortunately for me, I was in love with her. There was a mysterious air about Veronica Matheson's murder. Nobody had seen her before she had been murdered. She had disappeared for months without getting into communication with anybody. Then, suddenly, she had turned up dead. Her sons had been murdered months later after one of her sons had been turned. The strangest of it all was that one last Matheson had remained. Damien had appeared with her stating that she was the last of the Matheson Slayers. He had protected and raised her as his own. We'd heard of her existence but never seen her until she stepped foot onto campus.

            The first time I had seen her, I knew her eyes. They were large almond shaped amber eyes. She was tall and wiry with long dark brown hair. At first glance, she looked like she had no muscle but I knew better. I had been on the receiving end of her fist. Her full lips were spectacular but even more so when she smiled. Her laugh was joyful and easy-going. She always looked worried but when she smiled – her body relaxed.

I rolled my eyes at the dark night sky. We were in the middle of one of the biggest cities of the United States. There weren't any stars. Nothing for me to curse at. I grumbled at the night sky and hoped that my feelings for her would disappear