Supervision

"How was your summer?" Eric Travis mumbled to me as we walked towards the building. It was nice and five stories high. It was surprisingly open.

         "Uneventful," I answered with a shrug glancing around. The hoard of SUVs left but a few Slayers remained behind. "How was your summer?" I glanced over my shoulder. Royal was standing with Christopher Brewster. They were talking to each other in low voices.

Eric answered but I wasn't paying attention to him. He was talking about a surprise that he and Lydia had. Christopher was dressed differently from Royal. He had a black jacket on and black ripped jeans. He was also wearing white sneakers.

Christopher saw me staring back at them and he waved. Royal's eyes flickered to me. 

        "I'll be back," I told Eric who was still talking about himself.

       "What are you doing?" 

      "Come, let's say hi," I replied meeting Royal's eyes. He was covering his eye color. The edges of the contacts were visible. He was hiding his vampire eyes from everybody. I wondered why he had been named Second Slayer. Damien had to know or he had been covering his tracks. The sun was setting behind him so his eyes stood out.

        I approached Christopher and Royal who both turned to me. Christopher smiled broadly while Royal glared at me.

         "How was your summer?" Christopher held out his hand to shake it. I briefly touched his hand.

        "Fine," I answered briefly not letting my eyes leave Royals. "How was your summer, Royal?"

His eyes flickered behind me for a second. Eric was standing behind me.

       "Full of babysitting," Royal arched one eyebrow. "Eric a word?" he waved him forward and pulled him aside.

My eyes stayed on his back, "And how was your summer?" I asked Christopher who was trying to make conversation but confused by my coldness. My eyes flickered to his soft brown ones. 

       "Work," he answered with a widening smile. "You'll be working soon enough too. Maybe I'll see you out there." He was in Second Chain. It was highly likely that he would be working together since I should be taking over First Chain.

       "Maybe," I replied with a shrug. "Two more days right?" Eric and Royal were walking away together.

      "Yeah it's going to get crazy. I guess, everybody is flying in. They want to see you take over."

      "Or they want to see me fail." I supplied flicking my eyes to Royal and Eric. My name had been  mentioned.

        Christopher furrowed his eyebrows, "I highly doubt that. A lot of Hunters are anticipating the return of House Matheson. House Lancer hasn't been the most-"

     "You don't have to be nice. They suck." I smiled at him. "Everybody knows it but they are too scared to say anything. How's your brother?"

     "Busy," Christopher had long eyelashes with soft brown eyes. "He was excited to catch a glimpse of you earlier."

     "Too bad he couldn't have stayed," Out the corner of my eye, I could see Eric making his way over to us.

     "Yeah, he's being kept busy until Selection Day. Your godfather is getting ready for you to be named First Slayer. He has been getting everybody into shape."

       "Do you guys want to continue talking inside?" Eric suggested, holding out his hand. "We want to stay out of the public eye until Friday." Christopher and I followed Eric inside. "Lydia and I are on the fourth floor. Your room is across from ours."