Paranoid

The last three months had been spent at the Matheson School for Hunters. It had been three long months of training with House Burns. Rochelle Burns, the matriarch of the House, had given me certain exercises and had even included me in some of her House training but for the most part I had spent it alone. It was the middle of August.

My mentors Lydia, Uther and Eric were with their own families until selection day. Selection day was the day that we would all chose which Slayer Chain we would join. There were Nine Chains total with the First being the most prestigious and exclusive. Only the best of the best were in it. I was supposed to join it this upcoming August. Everybody was expecting me to lead First Chain and become Master Hunter since I was a Matheson. A Matheson Slayer.

"Are you nervous?" My godfather Damien Drake asked me. He was picking me up so that we could fly out to NYC. The Coalition was based in New York City. "In three days everything will be different." He squeezed my shoulder gently. My grandfather was from England. Damien was dressed in usual black Slayer-wear. Next to him was his knife. Mine was right next to him. We had two cars taking us to the airport and there was also a black SUV behind us. They were expecting trouble.

      "Mmmm," I replied, "Yeah."

Out the corner of my eye I could see him turning to me. His driver even flicked his eyes back at me. 

      "How's Bennett?" I asked wanting to change the topic. In three days he was going to hate me.

     "Just fine. He's staying at the old house. It was easier than having to find a new place or staying in the dorms. It would be much homier."

      "That was nice. Has his father spoken to you?" I asked wanting to know more about what was going on. I knew his father refused to see him since he had came out. Uther had said that his father had disowned Bennett and they weren't speaking. He wasn't allowing any of his children to speak to their own brother.

       Uther was Bennett's boyfriend. He was the twin brother of Lydia who was dating Eric. They were all about to turn twenty-two in about two weeks. Eric was older than they were by six hours. The three of them had grown up together and gone to school together.

      "No, refuses to see me." Damien shrugged rolling his eyes. "Bennett is in Los Angeles away from his father. He's being too hard on his son in my opinion. Bennett is going to make an excellent field medic."

"I hope in time he sees that. Bennett must be taking it hard." I frowned shaking my head. Uther mentioned that Bennett was doing his best to stay positive. He had gone to Los Angeles to see him. The Twins and Eric were prepping to join the Chains so that meant being scored on their skills. All students before joining the Chains were scored on their skills and that also had an impact if they joined the chain they had requested.

       I wasn't entirely sure about the process of joining a Chain. All I knew was that we submitted our names with our three top choices into three enchanted boxes. They were to not be opened until Selection Day. At that time all leaders would get together to either accept or deny the requests. It was a public event because everybody got together. All the Witchers, Tracker Orders and Slayer Chains got together to watch people get sorted. 

      The Trackers because they had the most members went the first day, then the Slayers and finally the Witchers. It usually took three days for the whole process. This Selection Day was going to be a little too eventful for everybody. The news I was going to give them was not going to be taken well by some of the Hunters and the Lancers.

      First Chain was based in NYC along with Second Chain. The lower chains were scattered across the Americas. The Ninth Chain was based in the Midwest they handled all the rural cities. The Not Slayers weren't positioned anywhere, they were free to move around. Most Not Slayers had been kicked out of a Chain or removed for whatever reason. Nobody became a Not Slayer if they didn't place into a Chain.