Partner

"Yeah it's kind of bland."

I turned to the sound of Evan's voice. He was leaning against the door-frame. I hadn't heard him come up at all.

        "Did you get taller?" he commented looking me up and down. "You look different."

My lips pursed at him, "How'd you get down here?" His blue eyes seemed brighter and even bluer than I remembered. He was still as tall and well built.

       "Everybody is having dinner. I wanted to see you." He grimaced glancing over his shoulder. "I'm going to step inside," he stepped into the room and closed the door.

       "And why did you want to see me?" I leaned against the dresser crossing my arms. He took a seat across the room from me. His bright blue eyes stood out against the gray semi-lit room.

       "I wanted to catch up. It's been almost four months."

       "So we are now old buddies catching up?" I raised my eyebrows at him, answering in a snippy tone.

       "Ouch, why are you grouchy?"

       "Nothing, it's the stress of Selection Day." I just shook my head at him.

        He snorted loudly, "What do you have to worry about? You are automatically First Slayer," he grinned brightly. He didn't seem concerned that I was going to be First Slayer.

        "I have lots to look forward to," I replied sarcastically. "Your dad is going to be difficult."

        "He's going to be ummm...," Evan shrugged turning down his mouth. "Yes he is going to be difficult but the rest of us are not-"

       "Your older brother?"

       "Fine two people in my family are going-"

       "Your cousins and Selena?" I interrupted him. There was whole family that was going to come after me. "Your entire family is not going to take too kindly that I will be First Slayer and Master Slayer. They will be back under Matheson command. My command."

      "I thought a four month vacation would have mellowed you out." Evan blinked at me.

       "I have a lot to think about." My eyes dropped to the ground. "Can you go?"

       "Are you still having blood cravings?" Evan dropped his voice considerably. He got to his feet. There was a certain tenderness in his voice. "A few more months and they should be gone." The tone he was using made my eyes lift up to his blue ones.

I didn't answer instead I snapped my mouth shut. The cravings hadn't disappeared. He was right though they were slowly diminishing. Everyday was better.

      "How long did it take you?"

      "Year and a half." Evan responded searching my eyes. "It gets better. Is that why you are worried about becoming First Slayer? Are you worried that people will find out?"

      "You tell me,"

      "Nobody will find out. We are all bounded by the secrets of the tribe. Nobody can leak that kind of information."

     "And you don't think your family will try anything?"

     "If they out you then they out all of us. Nobody wants that"

He didn't seem the slightest bit concerned. And he shouldn't be. Werewolves weren't seen as bad as vampires. The Lancers had made it seem like werewolves weren't of concern. They had made it seem like nothing was of concern at all. They had kept the peace for years. Or at least that's what it seemed like.