chapter 3

The bell on the door jingled a few days later and Josie looked up from where she was sitting behind the counter, a novel in her lap.

August looked around the shop in wonder. He had been in town for two days and had made a point to walk through every little shop. He was searching for something and he was hoping to find it, even though he wasn't quite sure what he was looking for. He assumed it was his spark of excitement. However, he wasn't sure what he expected to find in a flower shop.

Josie couldn't help but stare up at the tall man. He was very handsome, and walked with an air of confidence. He had styled black hair and a shadow of a beard and mustache on his face. He turned towards her and she was stunned by his vibrant blue eyes. She had definitely never seen him before.

August strolled to the counter, spotting a petite lady perched on a stool.

"Hello. Is there something I can help you find?" she asked. August found her voice to be soft and sweet like honey, and it stuck to him like nothing he's ever know before.

He took in her rounded features and warm, chocolate eyes. "I'm new around here, just checking out the place. I'm August," he said, holding out his hand.

Josie took a hold of his large hand. It was warm and soft, and she was confused by the feelings that stirred in her stomach.

"I'm Josie." Her voice came out as a breathy whisper, and she pulled her hand away quickly, hoping to avoid the strange effects of this man.

August believed he had found what he was looking for, and in such a short time period. It had to be fate, not that he believed in such nonsense.

"Josie," he let her name roll off his tongue, his voice low and his lips quirked up slightly.

Josie couldn't resist the shiver when he said her name. Who was this man?

"It's a pleasure to meet you," August said.

Josie stood from her stool and he took in her small, almost plain body. She wasn't what he normally went for, yet something had stirred the beast within.

"It's pleasure to meet you as well," Josie responded politely, almost robotically and August frowned as she pretty much turned a cold shoulder to him. That wouldn't do, not at all. "Please let me know if I can help you find something," Josie said finally, picking up the broom leaning against the wall.

She turned away from the man and made herself busy sweeping up the dirt behind the counter, even though there was no dirt to sweep. She just wanted to be free of his magnetic gaze.

August wouldn't let her slip away that fast. He knew better. He knew she was affected by his presence. "I need coffee. Is there a place around here?"

Josie eyed him, continuing with the broom, "Down the street to your left, you can't miss the place."

"Great. Tell me what you want and I'll bring it back to you," August said in a no nonsense tone, testing to see if she would try him.

She wanted to know what game he was playing. Why was he speaking like she didn't have a choice? It was strange, and she didn't want to question his authority, which was also odd.

"That's very thoughtful of you, but I'm okay. Thank you." She leaned the broom against the wall, searching desperately for another task to busy herself with.

August was impressed. She had a strong exterior, that was for sure. He would break it down eventually. Suddenly, his impromptu get-away wasn't looking so bad.

"Until later, Josie," August said. He wouldn't push too hard today, she wouldn't be able to say no to him forever.

He left the shop feeling rejuvenated for the first time in a long time.

Josie's thoughts would be cluttered with August for the remainder of the day and she didn't understand why. Nobody had ever plagued her mind, yet there was something so enticing and addicting about his presence. She hadn't even spent fifteen minutes with the guy and she was already a fumbling mess.