chapter 12

Josie was finally back home. She felt like she had been floating on clouds while she was in London, but all dreams have to come to an end. August was going back to the city.

"It's only an hour, baby. I'll stay the weekends at my home here, and there is also plenty of time for me to come up for dinner during the week, too," he had told her when he dropped her home from the airport.

She took his word for it, but they had been together nonstop for the most part of three weeks, and she had grown attached. She had never had a person stay in her life permanently, and a thread of doubt pooled in her stomach as soon as his car pulled away.

Now, a few days later, and all she had gotten were a few quick texts from him. She knew he was busy, but it didn't ease the feeling she had in her gut. How much time would it really take for him to just call her?

Her shifts at the flower shop were a struggle. Jet lag had hit her hard, and her thoughts were going a hundred miles an hour.

"There's my favorite worker! I sure missed seeing your face, dear!" Mrs. Bell greeted with a lovely smile.

Josie couldn't help the happiness that flooded her body at the sight of the old lady. Finally something good was happening. "It's good to see you too, Mrs. Bell."

"Rumor has it you ran off with some guy to London," she teased.

"Well, I came back. I couldn't leave you behind," Josie played along.

"I've also heard you won't be working here much longer."

It was true. There was a nice job offer sitting in her email inbox. She had applied to be a wedding planner's assistant. The pay was similar to what she got now, and the only downside was it was in a different state.

The plan was to travel or move, and since she had already travelled, a change of scenery sounded nice.

"I haven't made up my mind just yet. You need to stop gossiping with Mrs. Miller," Josie smiled. She was startled to look up and see August.

"I wouldn't be able to get around without my gossip." Mrs. Bell bid her goodbye with a wave, not paying any attention to the tall, broody looking man.

"You're thinking of quitting?" August asked where he had been standing by the door, waiting patiently for their conversation to end.

"What are you doing here? I didn't even hear you come in," Josie said, walking closer to where he was. She was happy to see him, but a little upset by his lack of communication.

"Josie," he said, his voice stern. Why wouldn't she tell him about a new job?

Even still, she looked stunning as usual. He wanted to hug her, but her body language was cold.

"Don't say my name like that," Josie frowned, voice soft. "I haven't done anything. Why didn't you call or something? I barely heard from you."

August released a breath. "It's different for me. I'm used to work being the only thing in my life, and I am struggling to adjust everything I've known," he said honestly.

"That's not really an excuse," she whispered. Her stomach sank with the realization that whatever they had before was gone. It was only a moment and that moment was gone.

August didn't realize how much he had hurt her by his short texts. He had fucked up once more. He should have known how Josie's doubts were. She was never going to trust him again.

"I'm sorry," he said as sincerely as possible, stepping closer to her.

Josie felt the pressure of tears behind her eyes. She hadn't realized how much she had missed him until now. She hated being attached to a man that was only going to burn her, but everything in her called out to him.

"Baby," he soothed, seeing the tears. He finally wrapped his arms around her, pulling her to his chest. He had missed her more than anything.

Josie couldn't help but let a few tears escape at the comfort and relief that was released when she was finally touching August.

"I'm such an asshole. I will call every damn night from here on out. I missed you. I missed your voice, your smile. I don't think I ever want to be without you, Josie," August said, stroking her hair.

He gently pulled her face from his chest, staring down at her intently, "If I ever do anything to upset you, you just need to tell me. Don't let it build up like this again. I promise to do better myself." He wiped her tears with the pad of his thumb.

"I got a job in South Carolina. I applied before I met you, and I don't have to take it," Josie told him quietly. She didn't want to keep it from him.

"But you want to?" August asked gently.

She gave a shrug before admitting, "I don't want to be that far away from you."

August flashed a bright smile, "You're crazy if you think I'd let you that far out of my sight. I'd follow you to the ends of the earth."

"I don't doubt that," Josie teased.