chapter 19

"I made breakfast," Josie said, a plate of eggs and bacon in her good hand.

August stood up immediately. "You should be resting," he said sternly. He didn't even know how she managed to crack the eggs or cook considering even wiggling her fingers caused her little hand pain.

"I know, but it's been three days and I can't stand sitting around. I think I'm going to go back to work tomorrow," she told him, setting his plate down on his desk.

"Absolutely not," he said with finality in his tone.

"Aug-" she started, but stopped when he gave her a dark look. He disliked when she used his name in that tone. "I just want to do something."

"What you should be doing is icing your hand. The cast will be off much faster if you give it a chance to heal," he stated. "Thank you for breakfast. Don't make me lock you in our room."

Josie couldn't help but laugh despite herself, especially when August was failing to hold back a smile of his own. "You would love that, wouldn't you?"

"If only you weren't injured," he teased with a dramatic sigh. A fuzzy feeling filled her belly at the thought.

"Can I at least help you with your work?" she asked. She was bored out of her mind. She hated sitting still.

He was surprised by the question, but he could think of a few things she could do. He dragged her a chair. "Only for a little while, and then you need to go nap."

She internally cheered at the battle she won, and she got to be close to August. It was a double win. She sat in the chair and looked at him expectantly.

He opened the drawer to his right and pulled out an iPad. He tapped away for a moment before setting it in front of her.

"There are dozens of proposals from different companies around the world. You can go through and read them, and let me know which one you think the company and I should consider meeting with."

"You want my opinion?" Josie asked shocked.

August smiled, leaning down to brush his lips with hers. She was adorable. "Of course I do. You're an intelligent girl. I trust your judgement full heartedly."

She nodded her head, a blush forming on her cheeks. He was incredible. How did she get so lucky?

"I will have to take a few calls, so if that'll disrupt you, you can take it to another room," he told her, but she chose to stay near anyway.

That sat together for a better part of an hour. Josie liked seeing him in work mode. He was so handsome when he was serious.

"You're staring," he muttered, concentrating on the screen in front of him.

"I can't help it. You're so nice on the eyes," she said, biting her lip to control the blush that was threatening to take over again.

August gave her a heated look, "I think I am going to have to kick you out. You're distracting me."

Josie giggled, "Actually you're distracting me from my work."

He tilted her head up to kiss her. Despite her little interruptions, he had been more productive than he had been in a long time. With her, he felt like he could do anything, that he had nothing to lose because she was the only thing he truly wanted.

She pulled away with a yawn, her nose crinkling.

"Did my kiss bore you?" August chuckled.

Josie shook her head and crawled into his lap, resting her feet on the chair she had been sitting on.

"Watch your hand," August whispered, helping her adjust as she curled up against his chest.

He stroked her hair all the way to her back, long soothing motions that put her to sleep. He kissed her head and continued to work as she dozed softly.

Despite having several phone calls, Josie didn't wake for awhile.

August felt like he was walking on air having her nap so contentedly. He adored that she wanted to be close with him. He wanted everyday to feel like this.