chapter 16

A few days later, Josie and August went to the grocery store together. August was going to stay the weekend at his house in town, and she was going to stay with him. The pair wanted snacks for their movie night and for their picnic after their hike tomorrow.

Shopping together felt oddly intimate and couple-y. Josie enjoyed learning little things about her man, like how he preferred gummies over chocolate, or potato chips over popcorn. He didn't seem to be the type that liked junk food at all, but he seemed to love it just like her.

"We forgot to get the baking mix for the pancakes," Josie told him as they were in line for check out.

"You're right. How could we forget about pancakes? I'll go grab it," he said, kissing her cheek.

Josie greeted the male cashier politely, even though the looks he was giving her were off-putting. He looked like he was staring at her chest.

"I think we went to school together, but I can't be sure," he chuckled. Josie glanced him over. She went to college quite far away so it was unlikely they knew each other.

However, he did name the school she went to, so it would seem it was true. He continued to speak as he bagged their items. She could hardly pay attention to his words when she was watching him carelessly toss the food around.

"Of course, I would remember such a hot face and body like yours," he said finally, catching her by surprise. She felt her heart rate pick up speed, and she took a step back, anything to distance herself from his disgusting gaze and slimy words.

"I think it would be in your best interest to shut the fuck up," August said deeply, stepping beside her. Josie calmed knowing he was near and nothing could happen. "What makes you think that's appropriate to say to someone you don't know?" he questioned, anger raging through him. How dare he look at Josie that way.

The guy furrowed his brows, "I can say whatever I want to. You're not the boss of me."

August was tempted to punch the douche bag right in the nose. Josie placed a calming hand on his back. She swiped the card he gave her in London and gathered the bags.

"Come on, August. Let's go," she whispered, doing her best to guide him away.

He wasn't prepared to let this go. He wanted the manager, the CEO of the company, everybody to know what a piece of shit this guy was.

"Did you know him? The fucking audacity," August ranted, obviously very upset.

"He knew the school we went to together, but I don't remember seeing him," Josie said, struggling to keep up with his agitated stride.

He slowed, taking the bags from her hand, "I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

"You don't have to apologize. I'm glad you were there. I just didn't want you getting any assault charges," she smiled.

August felt himself cooling off.

"It did upset me how he put your dryer sheets in with my chocolate. I'll be very upset if the flavor is laundry."

August threw his head back with a laugh, his anger dissolving completely. "I'll be sure to fix it when we put the bags in the trunk."