✧ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 ✧

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐: 𝚞𝚗𝚎𝚍𝚒𝚝𝚎𝚍
𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚍 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝚙𝚘𝚟

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐: 𝚞𝚗𝚎𝚍𝚒𝚝𝚎𝚍𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚍 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝚙𝚘𝚟

The pain, the internal burning flames, the anger, the grief. The emotions of the fallen archon and adepti are his to carry, and his to carry alone.

The lone yaksha wandered the Guili plains under a bright full moon. He spent his time thinking; about his past, his glory days, when the yaksha lived, him slaying evil with his comrades by his side.

But alas after many a years he was the last residing one. The others had either gone mad with the anguish or vanished. The thinking adeptus walked aimlessly, pole-arm in hand, mask at side, as he was lost in the past.

That is, until he heard his stomach grumble with hunger. He rolled his eyes and sighed, starting to make his way towards wangshu inn, mouth watering at the thought of a plate of almond tofu.

He got to the base of the inn, staying in the shadows as to avoid mortal interaction, and took the old fashioned stairs. Step by step by step, his legs seemed to gradually grow heavier, though he was not tired, his body seemed weary, he felt slower then normal.

As he finished a flight of stairs he could see a gap in the next platform over, making the stairs unable to get across- for a normal mortal that is of course. He was about to swiftly dash across the chasm when he saw a person running down the flight of stairs opposite of the hole.

He watched the scene play out, the poor individual was carrying planks of wood, probably to fix the stairs, when they tripped over their shoe.

In a flash, the yaksha was on the other side with the unknown being in their arms. There was a distant clattering noise as the wood planks that used to be in their hands now tumbled and splintered on the floor, a few hundred feet below them.

The adeptus put the mortal down letting their feet touch the floor before he let go of their hands. The person was shaky on their feet at first, adrenaline coursing through them as they realized that if this figure hadn't been there that they could've fallen to their death.

The conquer of demons studied the individual as they regained their senses. They turned to him bowing their head in gratitude and saying a simple "thanks," though the adeptus was not interested in the appreciation and left before the mortal could lift their head, continuing up the long sets of stairs.

Upon reaching the top, he heard a faint breathing noise growing closer and closer to where he was. The yaksha turned around to see the mortal racing up the stairs and stopping when they got in front of him.

"Please.. just allow me to lend you my thankfulness." They said in between a few breaths.

Xiao, did not reply, instead sent daggers through them with his eyes, to which they took to no avail. They took their bag off of their back as they scrambled through it, until finally they flashed a certain talisman that he recognized all too well.

That is when in the light of the moon, the yaksha spoke, the first time doing so in a while, "A sigil of permission? You came prepared." The person just nodded. "This only prevents me from hurting you myself, it doesn't stop you from getting hurt in other ways." He stoped, gesturing to the stairs and how they had almost just died.

"I know, that is why I ask that I may do something for you in return for saving my life." The traveler seemed sincere and Xiao remembered the reason why he had come here in the first place.

The conqueror of demons hissed in annoyance of not being left alone, "almond tofu will do" he said bluntly and watched as the person went inside wangshu inn to prepare his meal.

He turned to lean on the balcony and to take up the breathtaking view. The wind gently drifted through his hair as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

His endurance had grown strong, but never strong enough, the karma always was there, always pulling his strings, he had kept the karmic bonds in the back of his head for millennia, but how long would he last, how long would it be until he finally snapped?

The frantic traveler went inside and headed straight for the front desk. The receptionist looked up upon their arrival. "How may I help you?" She asked.

"Do you serve almond tofu here?" The traveler asks. And the receptionists nods their head. She points to a room a few stairs down and to the left, "You can go see the chef for a plate."

The traveler bows a thanks and heads that way. Awaits them is a male figure to which the traveler walks up to. Their name tag said "Yanxiao."

"Hello, I'm here for a plate of almond tofu," the traveler says, catching the chef's attention. "Sure thing traveler!" He said, in a cheery voice.

After a few moments, Yanxiao hands the traveler a warm plate of almond tofu. Traveler breathes in the smell that it's emanating and can't help but want a plate for themself. But they resist the urge and head back up the stairs to deliver the food to whom they owed it to.

The yaksha didn't notice the traveler waiting for him until he heard their voice. "Uhm- hello I've brought your food." Xiao turns around and takes the plate from the outstretched arms of the traveler.

After a few moments pass the traveler is still there, stone still. "Is there anything else? I'm accustomed to eating alone," the yaksha grumbled, craving the food in front of him.

The traveler took a breath as if to prepare themself before speaking. "Your wrist, is your soulmate alright?" The yaksha looked puzzled before realizing what they had meant. Xiao always wore gloves, preventing him of seeing his wrist, he didn't care about the soulmate magic that was going around.

But alas it seems like the top of his glove had been singed by fire during a time to which the markings on the underside was visible.

7 days

A light sparkled in the yaksha's eyes as if he found the time stamp quite amusing. He replied as bluntly as he could, "I don't care,"

The traveler seemed taken aback by his words. "But that is a life, this person will still die in 7 days, as an adeptus does that not make a difference to you? You saved me, why couldn't you do it again?"

Xiao took in the travelers brief rant and put some consideration into it. "I will think about it but I wish to eat please leave traveler."

They turn around about the leave. "By the way, my name is (y/n), thank you again adeptus."

Once (y/n) had left, the yaksha looked down at his food. Atop the plate were chopsticks, which he picked up and used to start scarfing the food.

He savored the taste, the perfect combinations of flavors that he had always loved. But he had to think, was it worth finding and saving his soulmate? He vanquished evil he did not protect all mortals from their same sickly fate.

But at the same time the yaksha felt a pang of sorrow and loneliness in him. How long had it been since he had an actual friendship- but he shook his head, he could not risk another having to carry the weight he did.

But instead he came to a compromise. He would rescue his soulmate and save them, nothing less nothing more, after he would leave- go back to fulfilling his promise of slaying evil to the late Rex Lapis. And with that the yaksha vanished into the oncoming dawn, having no clue of where he should search but still heading off with a strong sense of determination.

Chapter word count: 1338
Total word count: 1338
2/14/21