Guilt and Gratitude

Over the next few days, Gauri observed that no one was unduly perturbed at Omkaraji's sudden departure to Germany. On the contrary, they were all glad that he finally left his room, where he had locked himself away for months, and went to reorient himself with the world. Least of all, no one blamed her for his departure. 

While she was relieved at their reception of this development, she was still doubtful whether Omkaraji's intentions were the same as what his family assumed. 

"Omkara just called me" Jahnvi was talking to Tej. "The exhibition is opening tomorrow. I'm so glad that he finally took up their invitation and went to display his works there. I was so worried when he refused them last year; he was getting rusty, exhibiting only in India. He will do lot better exhibiting his work with other international artists there."

"I'm just glad he went. I couldn't bear to look at his depressing form, whenever I passed by his room. It is, after all, my fault. My son is suffering for my sins" lamented Tej.

Gauri had heard enough. 

Anika Jiji had gone for her usual appointment to the gynecologist So, having free time on her hands, she decided to spend some time with Jahnvi Maaji. Seeing Papaji there, she had made up her mind to leave and return some other time, but she stopped hearing Omkaraji's name. And learnt something she didn't expect.

Omkaraji was still doing exhibitions

When Anika Jiji, Jahnvi Maaji and others talked about Omkaraji regressing into himself, she thought he lost himself and locked himself away. But apparently, he was still in charge of his life, making art and displaying it. 

It was like last time. When she had left after that disaster of an 'inspiration' attempt, and Omkaraji had made his come back on the art scene. 

Looks like her leaving him, had always done him good. 

Gauri was happy for him. She didn't want him to breakdown over her. She had carried on with her life, so why shouldn't he? 

But did that mean, that others were exaggerating his sorrow over her? 

Probably. They never understood their relationship anyways. 

Omkaraji just needed something to feel sad about, and so that he could harvest that sadness and churn paintings out of it. He never felt for her, like she did for him; she was just a means for him. 

"Oh my mata! Look where you're going!" shrieked Pinky. 

Gauri stopped at the right moment, before she walked into Pinky. 

"Sorry, Chhoti Maaji. I didn't see where I was going" said Gauri apologetically.

"A problem that this generation of bahus seem to suffer from" commented Pinky. "Oh my maata! but you are not a bahu anymore, are you? Sigh, you used titter around the house chanting about doing your duty as 'bahu' of this family, and now, even that has ended."

"It has not, Mom" said Shivaay. 

Gauri and Pinky, both hadn't realized when he came up behind them. 

"Mom, Gauri may not be Omkara's wife anymore, and that's her choice, but she will always be the bahu of this house. I brought her here as the bahu, and she will remain so. And even if that role elapses, then she is still my, and Anika's, sister. And I will appreciate it, if you could control your barbs; Anika would be upset if she hears them" admonished Shivaay. 

"Hears what?" asked Anika. She had been coming slowly behind Shivaay, and consequently missed Pinky's sarcasm.

"Nothing, Jiji. I was just talking about how delicious the chaat in Haridwar is, and how I wish I could get it here. That's what Bade bhaiyaa was talking about, that you'll be upset to hear about it, and not taste it here" Gauri made an excuse on spot.