The Sorting Ceremony

*****

*****

He made her feel feeble. 

She hated it. She hated it when she felt impuissant. 

She despised it with her whole heart.

So,  She sought power. 

She sought freedom. 

She sought strength.

*****

Bill was looking at her with wide eyes as she did so. And Azazel smiled at him and gestured him to pay attention. They both turned their attention towards the stage. A middle-aged Professor in a navy blue trench coat with a red tie and white shirt with grey waistcoat stood up from the Professors section. He looked hawk-eyed at the whole entrance hall and walked towards the Podium as the woman stood aside.

" Good afternoon to one and all. I am Professor Agilbert Fontaine, your own headmaster of Ilvermourny. Welcome to the new year at Ilvermourny. Now without wasting time I invite Professor Kline to host the sorting ceremony. " He instructed in a modulated voice and sat down again in his chair.

The aged woman took over the podium. And unrolled the parchment.

"Good afternoon to one and all. I am Professor Kline. It's time for the Ilvermourny school song. Please sing along."

"We stand as one united
Against the Puritan
We draw our inspiration
From good witch Morrigan

For she was persecuted
By common wandless men
So she fled from distant Ireland
And so our school began

Oh, Ilvermorny-Massachusetts
We choo-choose it
We choo-choose it
The wizard school supreme

Your castle walls, they kept us safe
The days with you, a dream
You taught us all our magic
And now one thing's quite clear

Where'er we roam
Where'er we roam
Our one true home
Our one and own

Is Ilvermorny dear"

It was really the out of world experience. Azazel felt that she never had some kind of such experience in her whole life. Even though it was short, he had many experiences and adventures as one would even say, even though given the circumstances it would be more of dangerous deeds. Possibly MACUSA would have deemed it illegal, i.e. if they knew it.

The sorting ceremony is going to begin. When I call any pupil's name he or she must walk down the stands, at the center of Guardian Knot of Ilvermourny to be sorted. At Ilvermourny, houses are like your own home. Different houses are situated on different hills and so have different premises. You eat with the people of the same house as you and share residential premises with them too. So the ceremony is considered very essential and important. So I would like everyone to pay attention and maintain silence."

"Kove, Aaiden"

A short, plump brown-haired Nigro walked from 2 rows below her and walked towards the knot.

He stood up and walked up to the knot.

"The knot glows once a student walks on it for sorting. I have read it in Magical History of Ilvermorny. Did you know that?"

She heard a boy spoke from behind her. And she was about to turn around, the knot glowed and she heard a mascot of campus roaring from the corner of the stage.

"Wampus", Professor Kline declared.

The students on the balcony above the campus cheered as Alex walked towards the stands and sat in the seat in the second row, which now had a flag of the Wampus by its side.

"Scamander, Adolpha"

A short while later she saw a fair-skinned brown-eyed and reddish-brown wavy-haired witch walked down from the stands to the knot.

"Pukwudgie", Professor Kline declared as the Pukwidgie raised its arrow. But at the same time when the girl was about to leave as the Thunderbird flapped its wings.

"You have a choice, Ms. Scamander." The Professor said smiling at the girl.

There were not many cases when the child is chosen by more than one house. Those students who were selected such would be famous people was the general belief among the students as well as American society. And the pupils who were selected by all four were deemed as legends. All of those could be counted on a single finger.

The girl looked at the students standing above the stands in the balcony above the Thunderbird. Azazel followed her gaze and it landed on a boy looking very similar to her. He just had wavy short brown hair and upturned amber eyes which shone even from a faraway distance. He encouragingly smiled at the girl. The girl smiled.

"I would like to choose Pukwidgie, Professor." She said

"Very well then Ms. Scamander, Pukwidgie" Professor Kline declared again.

"Riddle, Azazel"

Azazel stood up, Bill smiled at her gave her a thumbs-up as she smiled at him at walked down the stands.

As she went towards the knot. She felt the energy of the stage circling her, engulfing her in it. The magic flew effortlessly from her fingers, associating with the energy. At that moment, she felt divine, free. She felt as though the energy was hers to control, and hers to mold. her magic mixed and swayed with the energy surrounding her, looking for its sources and the energy allowed her magic to do so. Her magic ran free as she found four sources of energy. It was like she was engulfed by the energy present and the energy was being engulfed by her magic. In clearer. terms, the energy embraced her magic like an old friend. She had closed her eyes waiting for the reaction of statues, but there were none. As she opened her jade green eyes, her wavy auburn hairs were elegantly swaying with the energy.

Everyone in the hall was staring at her wide-eyed. She exactly did not understand why. She looked around her in all the directions and smiled. The crystal in the Horned Serpent statue's forehead was glowing, the Wampus statue had its jaw open, meaning it roared, the Thunderbird's statue had its wings wide, it had already beat its wings, and the Pukwudgie statue had raised its arrow.

"You have a choice, Ms. Riddle. Choose wisely."

The hall broke in to hushed

At that moment Azazel remembered him.

Azazel, you are leaving tomorrow for a mission. You know, you have the strength above every student of your age. You are loyal to my cause till today, when you leave this manor tomorrow, I expect you to remember who you are. And I want you to uphold the name of your own. You shall live as the last descendant of the Gaunt house. You shall live as the Gaunt. Do not forget you represent the Gaunt House in Ilvermourny. The most ancient and noble house of Gaunt has a reputation to uphold. Do you get that?

That was what he said. She was shivering when he said it to her. He made her feel helpless. He made her feel vulnerable. He made her feel feeble. She hated it. She hated it when she felt impuissant. She despised it with her whole heart. She sought power. She sought freedom. She sought strength.

Azazel stood straighter. She knew what she sought. She knew whats she should choose. She had made her choice. It was about time that she realized that for herself. It was the time she should make it. It was about time she should have done it.

"I have decided Professor"

"I Would like to choose Thunderbird House, Professor."

"Very well then Ms. Riddle, Thunderbird."