chapter one

"DEAR LORD WHEN I GET TO HEAVEN, PLEASE LET ME BRING MY MAN..."

I turned on my radio and blasted rock music in my room while I picked out an outfit to wear. I opened the door to my closet and picked up a light pink shirt. I grimaced at the bright color before throwing the clothing behind me on the ground. I rummaged through my closet before finding the right outfit to wear.

I put on my clothes and I went down to the kitchen to spot the Aunties, Ambrose and Sabrina. I breathed out in relaxation. "Morning, Aunties. Ambrose. Sabrina." I said with a grin. I sat down beside Ambrose and propped up my legs on the arm on my chair.

"Deafening morning, you mean. Wasn't that music rather loud?" Zelda asked. "Loud enough to wake the dead." Ambrose said before I glared at him with a monotone expression.

"Too soon for resurrection jokes?" Ambrose said, sipping his coffee. Zelda's eyebrows furrowed. "And since when do you wear black? Trying to be edgy like Sabrina?" She said with a smirk.

I chuckled. "Loosen up, Aunt Zee. It's a new year, a new cycle. And the old Mary Rose is gone. It's time to blow the cobwebs away." I said confidently. Zelda hums. "On that, we can agree." She said.

"Oh, Hilda, any calls for the mortuary?" Zelda asked. "Not a sausage." Hilda says.

"And I checked the obits, it should be quiet here. Like the tomb." Ambrose said. Zelda grins before straightening herself into her seat. "Marvelous. We'll take the hearse to the Academy." She said.

"Oh, can I ride with you guys?" I asked.

"Oh, we're going tout de suite. The High Priest would like to introduce me to the other faculty members before First Assembly. And isn't Baxter High back in session today?" Zelda asked. Me and Sabrina grimaced. "It is but... you know I believe me and Mary Rose want to start focusing our studies and minds at the Academy exclusively, for a bit. They just offer more there for us. I mean who wants to be learning about boring geometry when we can learn sacred geometry." Sabrina said. I see Zelda grinning ear to ear.

"The Academy's curriculum is just more rigorous and rewarding than Baxter High's." I added in. "Do you not want to see your other friends there, my love?" Hilda asked.

"I'll call Baxter High and tell them you and your cousin contracted scarlet fever and not to expect the both of you for the next two weeks." Zelda said. Sabrina smiles. "Don't worry, Aunt Zelda. I've already spoken with the new principal, and she's given us an indefinite leave of absence." She says. I looked at Sabrina with a smile.

-

I walked the hallways of the academy searching for my next class before I saw Gavin running up to me with a smile. "You're just in time for one of the Academy's grand traditions." Gavin says.

"Please don't tell me some kids are getting eaten alive today." I said with a disgusted look. "Fingers crossed. Come on, hurry." Gavin says. We chuckled.

"By the way I like the new hair, it's hot." Gavin said. I blushed deeply. Me and Gavin go into the main hallway of the school to see that all of the witches and warlocks were standing in a group facing Father Blackwood.

We quickly squeezed our way to the front of the crowd. "Good morning to you, my young warlocks and witches. If I could have your attention, please." Blackwood says. The crowd's murmurs quiet down.

"Now, with every fresh cycle at the Academy comes the customary election of the new Top Boy, tasked with serving as a liaison between students and faculty, as well as providing a much-needed example for the rest of you lot." Father Blackwood says with a proud grin. The crowd chuckles.