chapter six

"NOBODY KNOWS..."

I walked into the kitchen to spot Ambrose in the kitchen. I slightly gasped. "Just the warlock I wanted to see." I spoke, making him look up at me from the newspaper he was reading. I quickly grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the kitchen. "Where exactly are we going, Mary Rose?" He asked.

"My room." I said before we walked into my room. My fireplace was brightly shining. I sat on the edge of my bed and he sat next to me with a curious expression. I picked up a red box that sat on my bed and presented it to him. "I bear gifts." I said with a grin. Ambrose hummed before grabbing the box from my hands and opening it to reveal a gold medallion necklace. He smiled.

"It's a protection charm. Uh... something told me... erm... you might need it so... And I also imbued it with enough magic to lift the Empire State Building so... yeah." I said before chuckling. He giggled before examining the necklace. "Wait, is this medusa?" He asked me. I nodded, looking at the carving of her in the gold.

"Oh, yeah. You called me Medusa when I first wore that weird sister's dress so I decided to incorporate her into the gift." I said. His dopey smile was big and bright before he hugged me. I patted his back before saying:

"Don't ask for anything else for the next hundred years, got it?" I asked jokingly. He chuckled.

-

Sabrina had told me she sent Nick to go fetch Edward's manifesto from the bottom of the ocean. At first I thought it was a bad idea until she told me he could hold his breath for four minutes. And, guess what, he retrieved it. I was relieved.

We were now all in Ambrose's room. Sabrina, Nick, Ambrose and me. Nick laid out all the pages of the now dry manifesto on the floor in order. "It's my father's manifesto, Ambrose. In it, he lists his five basic laws. Prepare yourself, they're shocking. First. As mortals are the God-spawn of the Earth, so witches are the Hell-spawn. They share a common home and destiny. Second. Not only may witch-kind lay with, love with, and live amongst the mortals, it is their sacred prerogative.

"Third. As Lilith was the mother of demons, so all witches must be revered as the matriarchs of the Church of Night. Fourth. Magic is the Dark Lord's gift to witches. It can and should be used for pleasure, for gain, and to satiate the senses. And fifth. Only the true union of mortals and their witch brethren will bring the Era of the Morningstar." She finished. Ambrose sighed. "Bloody hell." He comments.

"My parents were flying to meet with the Anti-Pope to present these tenets in the hopes of reforming the Church of Night." Sabrina said. "We think Father Blackwood murdered them before they could do that." Nick said.

"Please say you believe me, Ambrose." Sabrina said. I looked over at him. "Uh... I... do. And, Cousin, we're in the middle of an uncanny confluence. Earlier tonight, at a meeting with Judas Society, I heard, for the first time, Blackwood's tenets. His is a... a regressive and misogynistic reformation. Back to the old, old ways. And tomorrow, in a private audience with the Anti-Pope, he plans to present his manifesto to Our Unholiness." He said. I rubbed my temples in irritation.

"Ambrose, we need to stop Blackwood." I said. "As luck would have it, I will be stationed outside of Blackwood's office during the meeting. Part of my duties as an official guard." He said with a mischievous grin. "Perfect. If I can get in there and present my father's doctrine as an alternative to Blackwood's, we could derail the High Priest's efforts to regress the Church of Night, and, Satan willing, the wedding itself!" Sabrina declared.

-

It was now the night the Anti-Pope came to visit so I went straight to the Academy. I wore a mustard yellow crop-top with a black mini skirt and I put my hair into a ponytail. I stood in the Academy with Sabrina by my side as I watched the Anti-Pope walk into the Academy with Zelda and Blackwood by his side.