chapter two

"GOOD DAYS ON MY MIND..."

I woke up the next morning and I put on a black sweater and a grey plaid skirt. I went into the kitchen, still pissed off about what happened last night. I saw Ambrose making himself a cup of tea and I actively ignored him and grabbed a peach from the fruit basket. "Mary." I heard him say.

I bit into the peach and picked up a newspaper Zelda was probably reading before I came in here. I suddenly see the newspaper in my hand being snatched away. And lo and behold, it was fucking Ambrose. He looked at me with a stupid apologetic face. "Look, I'm sorry." Ambrose began.

Before he began to rant about how sorry he was I got up into his face with a look that could kill. "Ambrose, if you don't get out of my face, I will melt yours off." I hissed. I walked past him, bumping into his shoulder along the way. I grabbed my satchel bag and left the house without another word. I headed straight to the Academy.

-

I addressed the issue of the demon attack to Father Blackwood and asked if he could postpone the challenge. But, Father Blackwood said it will proceed as scheduled, which pissed me off. Zelda then gave me a witch whistle and some blinding power just in case any other demons pops up.

Since I didn't have anytime to study, I'd thought I'd surely lose against Gavin in front of the entire coven. But to my surprise Prudence offered to help me with my challenge by helping me 'cheat'. I hesitantly agreed. During the next challenge I did exceptionally well considering the fact that the weird sisters assisted her. But, it felt Blackwood pissed and he brought me into his office for questioning.

Ambrose, Sabrina, and Zelda all stood around as I spoke with Father Blackwood. "I don't understand. Now I'm in trouble for being a good student?" I asked in confusion as if I didn't know I cheated. Blackwood walked nervously around me which was quite entertaining to watch.

"Your performance in the competition, not ten minutes after confessing you were woefully ill-prepared, is suspect, to say the least, and punishable by lashing if proven to be—." I quickly cut off Father Blackwood who was clenching his jaw in anger. "So you're accusing me of cheating, and threatening to whip me, Father Blackwood?" I questioned him. He sat down in his seat in front of me.

"This is exactly why I plan to do away with these sexist, antiquated traditions when I'm possibly High Priestess." I said with confidence. Blackwood's eyes bulge out of his head at my words.

"High Pr—." Father Blackwood cut himself off to gather himself before speaking again. "You listen to me. Witches can ascend to a multitude of coveted fellowships within the Church of Night. But the role of High Priest has been held by a warlock since the first stones were lain. There will never be a High Priestess of the Church of Night." Blackwood says with raised eyebrows.

I hummed. That just proves my point indefinitely.

"Not according to Zelda." I stated. I see Aunt Zelda nearly choke on air. "Um--yes. I told her that with courage she might get somewhere near that... arena." She said with a strained smile. Blackwood sighs in frustration.

"To ensure that no cheating will occur during the Boil and Bubble challenge, I will seal the Desecrated Church. So no external forces will help and under-prepared witch." Blackwood says with venom. I raised my eyebrows in confidence. "I better get studying, then." I said.

-

I walked through the woods alone gathering my thoughts. I heard the birds chirping in the distance. The smell of rain went through my nose. I hummed to a chipper song under my breath. Suddenly I heard rustling behind me. I stopped walking. I heard squeaking noises behind me, but then I heard a sinister chuckle, which made me turn around. Shit!