62

We landed just outside the warehouse, amongst a load of large crates and wooden palettes. I was sure that this warehouse was out of order- it had smashed windows, and looked like it could fall down at any moment.

I turned to the others. "We know that this is a trap." I said quietly. "Haydn knows that you're gonna turn up at some point to try and save my parents, and he's waiting. But what he doesn't know is that I'm alive, and that I have the light."

"We can't just go charging in there." Ronan said.

I tried to think of an idea that posed minimum risk.

"You know, I think that's exactly what we need to do." Irina said.

Everyone turned to look at her.

"Hear me out." She continued. "We all go running in, except Millie, and Haydn thinks that we've fallen for his trap. His plan is working, and he captures us. We continue to act like Millie is dead, and then at the right moment, Millie does her light stuff and catches him entirely off guard."

Everyone thought about it for a moment, and then started to nod.

"Sounds dangerous." I said, dubious. What if Haydn just killed them all on the spot?

David actually laughed. "Millie, I don't know if you're aware, but this whole thing is dangerous."

"True." I said. "But Haydn could kill you."

"Then you better hurry up and surprise him." Stella said. "I think it's a terrible plan, if I'm being completely honest, but I think it's the best one we're gonna come up with."

"Besides." Miss Jones chimed in. "Hopefully the SED will turn up soon."

I sighed quietly. "Okay." I said. "Please don't die."

Ronan nodded, hugged me quick, and then everyone left me standing behind a load of wooden boxes, waiting.

As soon as they went, I started to dread things. I mean, my parents were in there. So was Anika. Everyone else was just walking into a trap, knowing full well that it was a trap, but a trap nonetheless.

It scared me shitless, but it had to happen.

I watched the team jog up to the main door, before they opened it and sneaked inside. I decided to come out of my own hiding spot, and get as close as I could- perhaps I could see what was going on.

Indeed, as I got closer, I saw a window frame with no glass in it, and so I slowly peeked over the ledge, staying as low as I could.

I nearly gasped loudly. I wanted to shout. To cry, even. Inside, Haydn was there, the darkness still shrouding him like a dark, smoking aura. In front of him, I could see my parents tied up on some old chairs- their hands were bound behind them, and their ankles strapped tightly, but not with rope- with darkness, being controlled by Haydn.

I was beginning to wonder where Anika was, thinking that perhaps she wasn't here after all, but then I heard the clanging of metal chains. I peeked further into the room, and in a dark corner, there was a large wolf, black in colour, with all four paws chained to the wall. She looked defeated, like a lost puppy, and every now and then she would bare her teeth at Haydn.

Did my parents even know who that was? Did they know that it was Anika?

I heard a loud noise coming from the front of the warehouse, and ducked, worried Haydn might turn around and see me.

Instead, though, he started laughing.

"About time!" He shouted, just as the team burst into the room. I watched, eager to get involved, as everyone broke into fight. It was really difficult to watch- my parents looked absolutely terrified, not wanting to get caught in the crossfire, but of course, they couldn't move. Anika started getting more and more restless, and tugged hard on the chains holding her back.