42

I saw everyone sit up quickly beneath me, finally being released from whatever hold Haydn had over them. They all went to help each other- Stark lent Penelope a hand, and Tina went over to Pat and Frida, who groaned as they got up. I then saw Ronan, who was looking around frantically. The others then looked at the spot where I'd been standing, wondering if I was even alive or not.

"Millie!" I heard him call from below.

I guess I should probably put him out of his misery and show him that I was perfectly fine. It actually took a bit of effort, though- I'd fused with all this air around me, and had to think about shrinking back down to my usual size before landing back down onto the frozen grass. I ended up falling over, with my legs being the last to fuse back to their solid state, so I landed rather haphazardly on the ground, the grass crunching underneath me.

Everyone turned to look at the lump of a human on the floor.

"Millie!" Ronan exclaimed, relieved. He then teleported to the spot in front of me, and pulled me up and into a tight hug. I hugged him back, liking the comfort he brought. "Holy shit, I thought..."

"I'm okay." I assured him, and pulled away so I could let him look at me. He cupped my face in his hands, looked me in the eyes for a moment, and then bent down to kiss me. Despite the frost, it was a very heated moment, and I felt my skin begin to warm under his touch. My hands made their way round to the back of his neck, as I pulled myself closer to his face.

"Get a room already!" I heard Tina yell across the grass, and suddenly my cheeks were even redder than before. Ronan and I both smiled, though, and stopped.

I giggled. "Woah."

"You're still on duty, Millie." Stark said, his voice laced with sarcasm. "I expect a professional reputation to be upheld at all times."

"I nearly got sliced in half!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air.

"Nearly, being the operative word." He said.

"Oh, leave them alone." Penelope said, and winked at me.

Everyone was smiling. Pat walked over, in his human form, but had an arm hanging over Frida's shoulder. He'd hurt his leg, but other than that, he was fine. Despite what had just happened, we were all just thankful to be alive.

"What even was that?" Tina asked, looking at me. "I saw you disappear."

I chuckled. "I didn't disappear." I said. "I fused with the air."

"So it wasn't just a one off." Ronan said, an arm round my waist.

I shrugged. "I didn't even mean to."

"Well, it saved you." Stark said. "Saved us."

I waved a hand. "Whatever." I scoffed. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm starving."

"You took the words right out of my mouth." Tina said. "You guys are starting to look pretty tasty."

"Don't even think about it." Pat said, but he was smiling.

"Ew, not you." Tina chuckled. "Werewolves taste like shit. Argents are way tastier."

"Not a chance." Stark said. "Let's call that the end of the shift, shall we? I'd like to treat my team to a takeaway." He paused. "Sorry, Tina. You're welcome to tag along."

"Ah, not to worry." She said. "I'm meeting a friend. But you guys enjoy yourselves. I'll see you at work tomorrow."

"Bye, Tina." I said, as did everyone else, before Stark took us to one of the local Chinese restaurants in town.

__________