50. Secret Allies

-Chase-

-Chase-

I lied on the cold floor, trying not to let my anger consume me. My clothes were covered in splatters of blood, but I didn't want to get up to go change them. I didn't want to leave his side. The massive beast that was my loved one was sleeping, breathing heavily. I curled up closer to his neck, resting my head on it. I caressed his cheek slowly, hoping he knew I was there.

Whatever he was shot with, it had taken hours to pull them off his back. Thank God, the shrapnel hadn't gotten too deep under his skin, but trying to find them all in the middle of his thick fur had taken us a very long time. They were all gone now, but he still wasn't waking up.

Ben was outside the cage, studying the liquid the bullets had contained. He muttered something every now and then, trying to understand what he was seeing. Aaliyah promised to come help him as soon as she was sure her family was safe. We'd all agreed the liquid couldn't be from our planet. There was nothing so strong that could put Dante's beast to sleep on this planet.

It had to be morning already, but I wasn't tired. Or maybe I was past being tired. I couldn't even close my eyes when I stared at Dante. Begging... He was staying in this form for too long, and it made me scared. What if he wouldn't turn back anymore? What if the poison Killian used on him had caused his condition to turn a hell of a lot worse?

"Please wake up..." I whispered. "I need you to wake up..."

It was taking too long. It had to be at least twelve hours since he transformed... Twenty-four hours was the final limit. After that...

"Are you sure you don't want to sleep?" Ben asked after appearing to the doorway.

"No."

"It's been a very long day," he noted. "First Humble's Ravine before breakfast and then storming the base after dinner... You need to rest."

"You're not sleeping either," I replied.

He let out a long sigh. "How about I bring you a mattress? Just looking at you makes my back hurt."

"I'm fine."

He was silent for a moment, but then walked away. When he came back, he placed a blanket over me. "I need to close my eyes for a moment. Wake me up if you need anything, or if he starts waking up."

"Sure."

Ben went to sit down on one of the armchairs, and it took only a few minutes before he started snoring. I snuggled even closer to Dante, to the warmth of his body. I forced my eyes closed and listened to his steady breathing.

Perhaps I did fall asleep at some point. I snapped awake when I heard a low, thundering growl. My eyes flew open, and I sat up. The beast stared at me, his lips pulled back into a menacing grin. He growled again, but he was still staying on his side.