15. News

-Chase-

-Chase-

What happened last night was completely my fault. I should've been more careful when changing Dante's potion so drastically. The mix Roe gave me was strong and often had unwanted side effects, especially with people who had never used it before, and I had completely failed to take his condition into account. And then I went ahead and flat out ignored his vivid nightmares – that had been an important clue but noooo, let's wish him goodnight and go back to bed. What a healthy decision.

I shook my head while standing in front of a mirror in the bathroom. Stupid, stupid warlock... I'd be dead if I didn't have the portal ready. Another few seconds and Dante would've been gnawing on my intestines...

I turned my back on the mirror and peered over my shoulder. I sneered at the sight of the three big wounds on my back. I was so glad I didn't see them right after the incident. The kitchen alone was nightmare fuel with blood everywhere, and when I let myself think about it, I was pretty sure I had been seconds away from death. The wounds were deep, but thankfully, Dante's potion was working wonders on me. It would take only a few days for me to be fully healed, and the wounds were already looking good.

With a sigh, I grabbed a clean shirt from a small counter I had next to the sink, and carefully pulled it on. The wounds were aching a bit and I was worried they'd start bleeding again if I moved too much so I tried to be as slow as possible while getting dressed. The healing process was eating up all my energy, but I couldn't rest. Not when I knew Dante was feeling absolutely horrified.

As soon as I was fully dressed, I stepped out of the bathroom, only to see Dante leaning against the wall close by. He was pale, his face was frozen in worry and his entire body was tense. His eyes shot up when I took a step closer, so I smiled to let him know everything was fine.

"I'll be fine," I told him as I stepped in front of him. "Look! Fresh from the shower and the wounds aren't bleeding at all... Doesn't even hurt."

"I almost killed you..." he spoke, taking a few, restless steps away from me. Then he turned back and rubbed his face, looking like he was about to panic. This had been going on ever since we got back from Njizrski a few hours ago. "I can't stay here."

I suffocated a sigh and followed him, trying to touch his arm but he stepped away from me, hugging himself like he was afraid he would turn again if he didn't restrain himself.

"It was an accident – it was my fault really. I should've foreseen this," I said for the hundredth time, but he refused to listen. "Dante. I screwed up. I made a mistake with the potion. I failed to take your nightmares seriously. This happened because I was too confident in my skills. I let you down."

He shook his head. "You're better off without me..."

"No. I want you to stay with me," I told him. "I don't want you to go."