58. Storming the Base

-Chase-

-Chase-

It was nearly impossible for me to stay still as the seconds passed by. We needed to get moving right now. Dante couldn't wait for us even a minute longer. He was back in that place that had turned him into a scared husk of a man. I could still remember how he flinched away from me after I had found him in our shop. I could still remember his scared eyes.

And now he was back there. Every second we wasted was another second he had to endure in the hands of his old torturers. I'd make them pay for everything they were doing to him. I'd promised Dante they would never lay a finger on him, and I had failed him. I needed to go to him and make them all pay. I wouldn't leave a single soul alive.

I'd make them pay...

"Roe! What is taking you so long?" I spoke out loud, trying not to let my anger consume me.

He didn't reply, but at least I could feel the connection between us now – he just chose to ignore me. Where was he? He said he'd be right back!

"I'm trying the best I can," Roe finally replied to me. "They have protected every single base, and teleporting in and out is difficult."

"Have you found Dante yet?" I asked, but the answer was clear.

"Give me a moment."

I let out a frustrated groan and turned to look at the rest of our group. It had grown bigger in the last hour. King Gregor, Bon and Chels with their leader, and Samantha with hers were all gathered in the living room. With Donovan. Seeing him made me see red, but I needed him. For now.

"Still nothing," I told them, when they gave me questioning looks.

"I'm betting my money on the place Ronald had to show me. It is big, and heavily protected," Aaliyah spoke.

"It is a place your demon friends can't enter," Donovan said. "They know we are coming, so they would reinforce one base with everything they have. Tell your demons to look for a location that has the most traffic."

"Roe? Have you seen a base with heavy traffic?" I asked.

"All these places are quiet," he replied. "Not that many men either."

"Izha says she saw trucks leaving one of the locations – through a portal. But when she tried to follow them, she couldn't," Mom said, stepping closer to the map.

"That's the place," Donovan said.

"And where is that?" I asked.

"Izha?"

Mom was silent for a while, but then her demon appeared next to her.

"I couldn't follow them," the demon spoke. "But I know where he is not," she added, taking the list of locations Roe had found.