18. Not Dead Yet

-Chase-

-Chase-

I took Dante back to the hotel. He didn't say a word while I drove, but neither did I. The news we just heard... I refused to believe it. We didn't drive all the way here just to hear he was going to die! That was not an option! I was not letting him die. No way in hell was I going to let him die...

Once we were back in our small room, Dante went to sit down on his bed, looking out of the window. I just stood there in the middle of the room, staring at him. He had gained a little weight already... He was getting better already... No. There was no way he could die.

We would find the cure, no matter what it took.

I sat down next to the small desk there was in the room and grabbed my laptop. Dante needed time to process the news, but I didn't have any time to waste. I had to find the cure. While the laptop was starting up, I thought about the lab Mr. Heist had mentioned. I would call the man later and find out where the lab located. I would blast every single troll out of existence to get into the lab. And those trolls better hope they had left something useful for me... I needed to know what Mr. Heist had already discovered. Even one page of scribbled-down notes would suffice. I just needed something, anything to start with.

But first, I needed to know everything about woodland trolls.

Dante didn't move a muscle in a long time. I wanted to comfort him but he had locked himself away. I let him have his time while I did my hasty research, but by the time I had gathered enough information about those fucking trolls to fulfill my plan to invade the lab, I knew I had to try to get through to him. I couldn't stand to see him so... lifeless.

"Dante?" I spoke his name quietly and walked in front of him. He was staring at his hands. He had balled them into tight fists. I kneeled down in front of him, trying to touch his face, but he pulled away. "I am not letting you die, you hear me?"

He looked at me shortly but then turned away again.

"I'm going to find that lab he mentioned," I told him. "There has to be something left for us to use. My friends and I are strong enough to drive them away."

"Don't," he said. "Nothing can help me anymore. It's just a waste of time."

"It's not! You can't let this get to you! I don't know what kind of half-assed work that old grunt has done with his research, so I need to see his lab! I need to see what he has discovered so far, and then I do his work ten times better," I spoke, trying to keep my voice calm but obviously failing at it. "Do not give up on me!"

"No," he said, looking at me with a cold gleam in his eyes that I had never seen in them before. "We need to find those sons of bitches who did this to me."

I was stunned by his words. I could only stare at him. "Come again?"

"My days are numbered, but I'm not dead yet," he said, standing up. "They did this to me and so many others, but I'm not letting them get away with it! I'm going to put a stop to it once and for all."