11. The Alchemist

-Dante-

-Dante-

The second we stepped out of the door, I stopped moving. I could hear Chase locking the door behind us, but I didn't walk down the stairs even when he did. I just... I was outside. It was both scary and exciting to be standing there in the darkness, taking in the fresh air and seeing the vast sky above me.

"Dante?"

Chase was already standing at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at me with a worried frown.

"Sorry," I muttered, shaking my head a little before following him down. "Being outside is just..."

He smiled and carefully wrapped his arm around mine. "We're not in a hurry if you want to go for a small walk?"

I shook my head again. "We should go see that friend of yours so we can get it over with," I muttered, even though his offer was tempting.

"Well, we can walk as slowly as possible – my car is parked there," he said, pointing at a small parking lot across the street.

"That... sounds good," I said, peering at him. 

He was standing right next to me, still holding onto my arm. I was surprised to notice that I didn't actually mind him doing that. I thought I wouldn't be able to be anywhere near him after he took the blood sample, but I guess his plan to make the situation as comfortable as possible for me had worked better than either of us could've hoped.

I enjoyed every second of our short walk to the car. Seeing the stars and feeling the chilly air on my skin had never been so exhilarating to me. There were so many things I always took for granted, never truly appreciating anything I had.

"Was that person really me?" I muttered when we stopped by his car – a small, gray Nissan – and peered at Chase who was still hugging my arm. "That person I was before I got bitten, I mean."

"It's hard to believe. You're nothing like the guy I used to know, but I'm not surprised after everything you've been through," Chase spoke. "But you weren't a bad person – just a bit entitled."

I chuckled, thinking about the time when I threw a big cup of hot coffee on the wall when the barista forgot I didn't want whipped cream on it. "Understatement..."

He smiled and let go of my arm to unlock the doors. "I'd be happy to get to know you better this time," he said quietly.

"Me too," I nodded, and hurried to add, "I mean, I'd like to know you better, too. That whole warlock thing, and... and the potions, and..." I trailed off, feeling weird all of a sudden. Flustered.

His smile grew wider. "Lucky for you, I'm the best person to ask about the warlock thing," he said before sitting behind the wheel.

I just stood there for a second, until I managed to get a grip and sat down next to him.