NINE

I need to see him.

The pavement harshly hit the bottom of my shoes while I walked, the slight drizzle starting to slip from the clouds above leaving dark drips on my light clothing. While I jogged, the only thing I could seem to think to myself was 'why am I even doing this? he's not worth it...'

Last night, after I'd talked to Armin, I didn't bother to tell him what had been going on between me and Eren. It was too long of a story, and, after what I had just heard, it was embarrassing to even think about mentioning all the things I had done with Eren.

But, Armin didn't let me escape that easily. I could only assume he had read the sad expression on my face, and because of it, gave me a hint of advice. He said, "Well... Eren is gonna be at work tomorrow if you still wanna go talk to him! You know where he works, don't you? The uh- the bookstore... his shift is around nine!"

So, after taking the quickest shower of my life (because my alarm didn't go off and it was now nearly noon) I ran to the bookstore, hoping and praying he was still there. I didn't leave myself any time to think. I didn't know what I would even say if I did see him. I didn't even know how I really felt about the whole situation, if I was furious, upset, or just... disappointed.

But, the rain had started pouring by now. I picked up my pace, and thankfully, before long, it was there, right in front of me. The familiar glass door with a flippable sign that now read 'Open.' I swallowed, feeling my throat grow tight. I moved to the side, and reached for the handle of the door. But, before I could grasp it, someone came charging from the inside. They burst through the door, and, without even looking my direction, ran right into me.

I managed to keep my balance by desperately grabbing onto the assailants shirt, and, as soon as this person had felt my grasp, they also assisted me in gaining my balance. I looked up as quickly as I could, eager to identify the person, only to see the one guy I had been looking for all along now right in front of me.

"Y/N?" The brunette asked before I could do the same. I quickly let go of his shirt, but his hands instinctively went to either side of my face, wiping his thumbs back and forth against the droplets of rain on my skin. "You're soaking wet... did you walk here?"

"Ran, actually." I replied, heaving in short breaths. "I-I was looking for you, actually..."

I didn't freeze. Though, I don't know why. My heart was racing, I could hear it beating through my ears, but somehow, I functioned just fine. This time, the words seemed to come to me with ease.

Eren released his hold on my face and instead grabbed my wrist, pulling me back into the store from which he had just come, and motioned for me to take off my sopping wet shoes and leave them at the door.

"C'mon, there's some towels in the break room we can use to dry you off."

As he led me, the panic started to settle in. What do I say? Does he know that I know? What if it was a big misunderstanding? What if it's all true? I couldn't seem to calm myself, and the only thing I could focus on was the small pats of our feet as he led me to the back of the store, and how cold his fingertips felt around my wrist. I stared at his strong, sculpted back, until his eyes finally whipped around to meet with my own.

"Hop up, let me dry you off." He commanded, very clearly not a suggestion. He had brought me to what looked like a break room, just like he promised, and motioned for me to sit atop the counter of the small kitchenette that was tucked away in the corner of the space. I did as he asked, now suddenly hyper aware of how my wet clothing uncomfortably clung to my skin, and how ridiculous I must look.