FROGED IN FLAMES

That night after dinner, they decided to stay put in the living room. Ria curled up in an armchair at the far corner of the table to do her wind reading.

The Gryffindors moved around the dormitory, chatting and laughing, but nobody bothered to talk to them, which, for once was a good thing.

The night had fallen silent when Ria finally saw a crimson orb approaching Fluffy.

"It's time," she said, sitting up and looking at the others. "Get the cloak, Harry."

Harry sprinted upstairs and was back in seconds, the cloak in his hand.

"We'd better put the Cloak on here, and make sure it covers all three of us - if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own -"

"What are you doing?" said a voice from the corner of the room. Neville appeared from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor the toad, who looked as though he'd been making another bid for freedom.

"Nothing, Neville, nothing," said Harry, hurriedly putting the Cloak behind his back.

Neville stared at their guilty faces. "You're going out again," he said.

"No, no, no," said Hermione. "No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?"

"We don't have time for this.", Ria said.

"You can't go out," said Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble."

"You don't understand," said Harry, "this is important."

But Neville was clearly steeling himself to do something desperate.
"I won't let you do it," he said, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll - I'll fight you!"

"Neville," Ron exploded, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot -"

"Don't you call me an idiot!" said Neville. "I don't think you should be breaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!"

"Yes, but not to us," said Ron in exasperation. "Neville, you don't know what you're doing!"

He took a step forward and Neville dropped Trevor the toad, who leapt out of sight.

"Go on then, try and hit me!" said Neville, raising his fists. "I'm ready!"

Harry turned to Hermione.
"Do something!" he said desperately.

Hermione stepped forward. "Neville," she said, "I'm really, really sorry about this."

She raised her wand.

'Petrificus Totalus!'

Neville's arms snapped to his sides. His legs sprang together. His whole body rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his face, stiff as a board. Hermione ran to turn him over. Neville's jaws were jammed together so he couldn't speak. Only his eyes were moving, looking at them in horror.

"What've you done to him?" Harry whispered.

"It's the full Body-Bind," said Hermione miserably. "Oh, Neville, I'm so sorry."

Ria stepped forward and used wind to lay Neville down on a couch.

"C'mon", she said and the stepped out the portrait hole.

The cloak was a tight fit for the four of them. Ria had to keep checking around each corner for Flinch or Mrs. Norris.

They didn't meet anyone until they reached the staircase up to the third floor. Peeves was bobbing halfway up, loosening the carpet so that people would trip.