COMING HOME

Mrs. Haans turned out to be excellent. It was like having Sister Adaline back with them, and after spending the day with her, Ria was happy to leave her in charge.

She told the others about her parents death and that she had a place in the community school to which her parents belonged. They were sad that Ria had to leave, but no one wanted to stop her.

"If they are all as good as McGonagall and Mrs. Haans then I'm glad you have a place with them. Just...don't forget us, ok?" Andy said to Ria as they sat on the floor leaning against the wall after dinner.

"I can never forget you, Andy. Or Ben or Mel, any of you. I'll be back for the holidays. And Mrs. Haans will take good care of the kids and you won't have to worry about everything anymore."

"So, you're leaving tomorrow then?"

"Yes. Most probably"

"What does that mean?"

"McGonagall can be a bit..enigmatic...if you know what I mean. She didn't really give me all the details. She just said she'll pick me up tomorrow but I might be back because the session doesn't start till September. If I am not...well...I guess I'll be able to send you letters. We'll see."

That night in bed, with Ben lying beside her. Ria took out her locket and removing the parchment, stared at the two pictures within; one of Sister Adaline and one of their group. The group picture had been taking by Mr. Muller in the library a few months back. Ria was glad she had it. It'd be a piece of home in a strange new place. Then again..wasn't she going home after all?

On the morning of 31st July, Professor McGonagall showed up as promised. Ria tied up the few clothes she owned in her patchwork quilt and then, have said goodbye to the other children and Mrs. Haans who'd be living with them, made her way out of the orphanage.

They turned a corner and Professor McGonagall came to a halt.

"Now, we need to get you to London. Do you know how to reach there in the Muggle way?"

"Well, I know my way around the underground if that's what you mean." Ria said a bit hesitantly.

"Very well then. We won't have to waste time there. Take my hand."

She help out one of her arms and after a moment of thought, Ria took it.

Immediately she felt McGonagall's arm twist away from her and the next second she was swallowed by darkness and the most unpleasant sensation took hold of her. She was being pressed in from all sides with the effect that she felt she'd burst. The memory of that afternoon in the kitchen came rushing back; Brutus' hand pressing down on her neck, choking her, her mind slowly going black. She was almost certain she was about to die when the darkness evaporated and she was left standing on a footwalk in broad daylight, still clutching on to McGonagall's arm.

Her knees gave way and she sat down in the middle of the footwalk. She was aware of her whole body shivering and her lungs struggling to draw breath. A crippling fear had taken over her senses and it was a few minutes before she could bully her lungs into proper working order and get back up to her feet.

"It can be very unpleasant the first few times" McGonagall said kindly trying to steady her.

Ria now looked around. She was standing on a footwalk of London facing a tiny, grubby looking pub.

The rusty signboard said,
"The Leaky Cauldron"

The people hurrying by didn't glance at it. Their eyes slid from the big book shop on one side to the record shop on the other as if they couldn't see the Leaky Cauldron at all.