THE SORTING HAT

The door opened at once revealing Professor McGonagall. She was in an emerald green robe this time. Her hair was still up in a tight bun. She looked a bit more formal and upright to Ria than on the last few occasions on which they met. Ria didn't try to attract her attention.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

Saying this McGonagall pulled the door wide open and they entered. The hall inside was massive. The floor and the walls were made of a rough looking white stone. It was illuminated by flaming torches. Ria wondered if they burnt eternally due to magic. A magnificent marble staircase was in front of them leading to the upper floors.

The noise of gathering was floating out of a door to their right. It was wooden and intricately designed. Was it made by wizards or muggles?, Ria wondered.

Professor McGonagall led them in though another smaller door into a chamber off the hall. The stones here were darker; the natural shade of grey. It was ablaze with torches ones again.

Once they were all gathered inside, McGonagall spoke.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," she said. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville's cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Ron's smudged nose. Ria saw Harry nervously try to flatten his hair beside her.

"I shall return when we are ready for you," said Professor McGonagall. "Please wait quietly."

"How exactly do they sort us into houses?" Harry asked Ron. Ria could tell he was nervous.

"Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking."

"They won't test us on magic without teaching us magic first", Ria said managing not to scoff. Harry didn't pay her much attention thought. He seemed to be deep in contemplation of the upcoming 'test'.

Then suddenly several people screamed. Ria whipped around. Gasps were heard all around her. Ria had read about the Hogwarts ghosts but it was a shock nevertheless. About twenty of them came floating through the wall behind. They were pearly white and translucent, like some long lost memory. They seemed to be arguing and didn't notice the students.

A short and stout ghost with a smiling, happy sort of face was speaking in a cheery voice. "Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance--"

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost -- I say, what are you all doing here?"

The speaker had suddenly noticed the students. He had curly hair, a rough looking face and wore ruff and tights.

Nobody answered.