QUIDDITCH

By breakfast next morning, the boys thought meeting the three-headed dog had been quite an adventure and we're eager to have another. Ria didn't much like this attitude.

"We could have all died, you guys realise that don't you?", she asked looking at the other two.

"But we didn't, right? So chill out!", Ron said munching at his toast.

"You're great, Ron, but I don't think I'll ever meet a bigger idiot", Ria said not knowing wether to laugh or frown.

"Oh stop sounding like Granger!"

"I do not sound anything like her. And honestly she does have a point. What's the use of going around looking for trouble? I mean, we basically walked into it last night and...."

"Ria, calm down.", Harry interrupted her. "I know we walked into danger. And I promise we wouldn't do it again unless necessary. Ok?"

"If you say so", Ria agreed with a sigh. But her complaints about risks all but evaporated when she saw Blondy's face. He gaped at them open-mouthed. Ria gave him a taunting smile.

In the coming week, Ria, Harry and Ron often sat down to discuss what could be in the grubby package that was most possible being guarded by a three-headed dog. But all they knew about the thing was that it was about two meters long and either very expensive or very dangerous or both. They had no way of guessing the content of the package without further clue. So Ria put it out of her mind and concentrated on her classes instead which were mostly quite interesting. She also had flying to occupy her. After getting over the first days fear, Ria had been growing more and more fond of flying. She had even arranged with Madam Hooch to led her a broom for an hour on her free Friday afternoons. She had been on the broom thrice and each time had been amazing. All she wanted now was a way to get back to Malfoy. So did Harry and Ron.

To the great delight of the three, just such a thing arrived in the mail next Friday.
  As the owls flooded into the Great Hall as usual, everyone's attention was caught at once by a long, thin package carried by six large screech owls. Ria was wondering who it was for when it came soaring towards them and landed on the table knocking Harry's bacon to the floor. Another owl dropped a letter on top of it.

Harry ripped open the letter and read through and then just sat their looking stunned. Ron snatched letter out of Harry's hand and Ria read it over his shoulder.

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.
  It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.
  Professor McGonagall

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one."

Ria would like to own a broomsticks of her own but she didn't understand what the fuss with the Nimbus was. But Ron was so excited that they left the hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the broomstick in private before their first class, but halfway across the entrance hall they found the way upstairs barred by Crabbe and Goyle. Malfoy seized the package from Harry and felt it.
  "That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back to Harry with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

Ron couldn't resist it.

"It's not any old broomstick," he said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at Harry. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Before Ron could answer, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys?" he squeaked.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Malfoy quickly.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"