THE LADY IN GREEN

The next morning Ria woke up to find the basket empty. After searching the whole house for an hour, and even searching the Boys' room (because they weren't back for some reason), Ria was forced to conclude that she was gone.

"Found her?" Andy asked as she came back to the room.

"I think she's gone," Ria replied.

"Please don't be sad, Ria," Mel said, coming and hugging her. Ben joined the huddle.

"I am not sad, Mel. If she's gone, it means her paw healed. And that's a good thing right?"

"I think I'll add the cat to your portrait", Gus said. He was standing in front of the most recent painting, biting his lower lip.

"I think I will do that. She kinda fits in there, the way she was all regal and proud and stern. She'd look good there."

Ria turned to look at the painting.

"Did it really look that scary with the Boys? Yeah, the whole sudden storm thing was really odd but…"

"I have heard about fifty different versions of that question ever since I finished the painting" Gus said with a slight smile. "You guys get going. I'll finish this and join you in an hour"

"Ok, but be sure you don't run into those monsters!" Ria said with a look of disgust.

"Don't worry. I won't. I'll see you soon!"

With that the children set out for the library.

Turning the corner into the main street, however, they came to a sudden halt.

A middle aged woman stood in front of them. She wore a dark green dress unlike any the children had ever seen. Her hair was up in a firm bun at the top of her head and her stern, somewhat familiar looking eyes, surveyed them from behind a pair of glasses.

"Ria. I would like to have a few words with you" she started without preamble. "Andy, I hope you can guide the others safely to the library? Don't bother to wait up for Ria. She might not show up today."

"Excuse me, but who are you?", Ria asked, completely stunned and a tiny bit irritated.

"Oh, of course. You wouldn't recognise me. I knew your parents."

"You knew my……."

"Your parents, yes. And I would like to have a few words with you in private. If you want to, of course."

"If I...what…."

Ria took a deep breath and turned to Andy.

"Go ahead to the library. I'll take the lady back home. Then I and Gus can come together."

Andy hesitated a few seconds but then gave a nod and took the group away. Before they turned a corner and disappeared, Andy looked back. His eyes looked too bright.

"Ok then" Ria said once they were gone. "If you'll follow me I'll take you back to the orphanage"

"Lead the way", she said with a kind little smile, but once Ria started walking, fell in steps beside her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the hall, Ria told the women to make herself comfortable in one of the old wooden chairs.

"Who are you?", Ria asked again, settling herself down in a chair facing her.

"My name is Minerva McGonagall."

"How did you know my parents?"

"They were a part of our community; the wizarding community."

"Excuse me, the what!?" Ria asked incredulously.