THE STONE AND A DRAGON

With the onset of January, the second Quidditch match was drawing nearer.

Ria still went to watch the team practice most of the time. Wood was working the team harder than ever. Even the endless rain that had replaced the snow couldn't dampen his spirits. The Weasleys complained that Wood was becoming a fanatic, but Harry seemed to be on Wood's side.

"If we win the next match, against Hufflepuff, we would overtake Slytherin in the house championship for the first time in seven years.", he said.

"And I get fewer nightmares when I'm was tired out after training."
Ever since he'd seen his parents in the mirror Harry had been having nightmares where his parents would disappear in a flash of green light.

During one particularly wet and muddy practice session, (Ria was there watching again) Wood gave the team a bit of bad news. He'd just gotten very angry with the Weasleys, who kept dive-bombing each other and pretending to fall off their brooms.

"Will you stop messing around!" he yelled. "That's exactly the sort of thing that'll lose us the match! Snape's refereeing this time, and he'll be looking for any excuse to knock points off Gryffindor!"

George really did fall off his broom at these words.

"Snape's refereeing?" he spluttered through a mouthful of mud. "When's he ever refereed a Quidditch match? He's not going to be fair if we might overtake Slytherin."

The rest of the team landed next to George to complain, too.

"It's not my fault," said Wood. "We've just got to make sure we play a clean game, so Snape hasn't got an excuse to pick on us."

Ria, though was worried about something entirely different. Ever since the first Quidditch match, the other three were certain that Snape had tried to kill Harry. Ria didn't contradict them but she didn't quite agree. She didn't understand why Snape would do this. Yes, he seemed to really hate Harry. More than other students. But Ria didn't think that hatred was a good enough reason to attack a boy quarter your age in a field full of people. He could have lost his job or worse if caught. So Ria wasn't sure if Snape had really tried to kill Harry or not. But the one thing she did know, was that she didn't want Snape anywhere near Harry while he was in the air. She had indeed been trying to think of a way to keep Snape out of the field. That plan wouldn't work anymore.

After practice, Ria and Harry made their way back to the dormitory in silence. They found Ron and Hermione playing chess. Chess was the only thing Hermione ever lost at, something Harry and Ron thought was very good for her.

"Don't talk to me for a moment," said Ron, "I need to concen -- " He caught sight of their faces.

"What's the matter with you both? You look terrible."

Speaking quietly so that no one else would hear, Harry told the other two about Snape's sudden, sinister desire to be a Quidditch referee.

"Don't play," said Hermione at once.

"Say you're ill," said Ron.

"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.

"Really break your leg," said Ron.

"I can't," said Harry. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all."

"He's right.", Ria said speaking at last.
"And besides, if he backs out it would mean letting Snape win. Because either way, he just wants to make him look bad."

She then turned to Harry.
"You will play. And we will make sure Snape can't do anything to you. If he tries jinxing you again, I'll knock him off his broom."