{13}

Maisy’s words swam around his mind as Asher sat down at the kitchen counter with a giant cup of coffee in his hands. He had slept only a few hours the night before, his active mind not letting him get the rest he desperately needed. He hoped that he still looked somewhat presentable, throwing on his leather jacket before he left the room to give him a look that was more cool hung-over guy instead of sleep deprived guy.

He looked up with weary eyes as his father entered the kitchen, clad in his business suit as usual with neat hair. ‘That all you’re having for breakfast?’ he asked, eyeing the large coffee cup in his son’s hand.

Asher shrugged, ‘It’s either this or I sleep my way through my classes today.’

His father poured himself a cup, pausing before he took a sip to say; ‘Well, drink up then.’

Asher took a gulp of his drink.

His father took a seat next to him at the counter, opening up the paper. As his father read, Asher took a glance at his phone, seeing a good morning text from Danny. He replied instantly.

‘Hey Asher,’ his father looked up at him. ‘I saw a for sale sign on the house next to ours the other day and I didn’t give it much thought but maybe you should suggest it to Danny? He and his father could take a look next time they are here?’

The idea of Danny living so close was nice. He imagined being able to walk Buddy with Danny early in the morning and it would be a much shorter commute compared to the one hour drive. ‘That’s’ actually a great idea. Do you think it’s in his price range?’

His father shrugged, ‘With the new job, I’m sure he could afford it.’

‘Well, I’ll text Danny about it then.’

Asher sent a quick text to Danny telling him that there was a house for sale on his street and that he should ask his father if he was interested in it. Danny replied almost instantly.

                THAT WOULD BE AMAZING OMG I’LL TELL HIM RIGHT NOW! – Danny

Danny’s enthusiasm caused a bright smile to come over Asher’s sleep deprived face.

‘Asher?’ his father drew his attention over to him.

‘Yeah?’ he asked, taking a sip of coffee after. The taste was so good that he almost missed the strange look on his father’s face. It was cautious and yet pointed and Asher wasn’t sure what that meant.  

His father seemed to pause as if he wasn’t sure how to word it. ‘Why is it that Danny never goes to the parties that your friends throw? I know that they are usually on weekdays but you can’t tell me that they don’t ever throw weekend parties?’ his tone wasn’t accusing, just inquisitive.

Asher had practiced this lie in his mind before, knowing that his father was sure to notice. ‘I just like spending time with Danny, just us, on the weekends.’

His father nodded, ‘Okay. You,’ he paused, almost as if he was unsure of how to phrase it in a way that wouldn’t hurt his feelings. ‘You aren’t hiding Danny from your friends, are you? You could have invited your friend inside last night, but you were outside, and Danny never goes to any of your football games, he always comes over afterwards when they are on his weekends here, why is that?’ That was a little harder to answer. His father continued in response to his son’s silence. ‘I know that the bullying at your old school was rough on you. This school was supposed to be a new start. Your new friends aren’t bullying you, are they? Is that why you don’t want them around Danny?’