{18}

His bed looked corrupted with Ivy laying amongst its pristine sheets. She was looking at him like a lion who had just realised it had its prey cornered. She was premature though, she thought that she had won and he was going to jump straight into that bed and take whatever she would offer him. That wasn’t how this was going to work, Asher knew that for sure. He didn’t know what to do at first and so he just stood there awkwardly in the doorway looking at the beautiful girl who looked so out of place in his bed.

She felt right at home, however, and she seemed to become impatient at the silence, ‘Join me, won’t you?’ Her tone suggested that he was going to follow the command without question.

He had half a mind to slam the door shut and pretend that this wasn’t happening but the fury in his chest wouldn’t let him. It was like hot lava floating through his veins as he watched this ignorant sneak of a girl inside of his bed where no one but he and Danny belonged.

There was a small voice inside of his mind that whispered that some part of this was his own fault. He pushed that away and focussed on Ivy. He blamed her fully for what she was doing, for the despicable way she was acting. This was his bed. This was his house. What did she think she was doing?

‘What are you doing here Ivy?’ he asked, his mind making him think rationally instead of screaming at her and kicking her out of his room like he desperately wanted to. He wished and hoped that her next words were some sort of an explanation that was rational, that he could cling to for a little piece of clarity. He was utterly disappointed with her response.

‘I’m here to give you exactly what Jess can’t,’ she told him like it was the answer he wanted, her hands running from her thighs to her stomach slowly, a gesture that was probably supposed to entice him but instead only made him cringe. She had so much confidence in the way she was speaking, in the actions she was making.

‘Get out.’ He changed tactics.

She laughed it off, ‘Oh Asher. You don’t need to keep this loyalty you have for that poor girl. She isn’t anything. She is holding you down and making you look weak,’ she told him. Ivy then slowly stood from the bed, slowly walking towards Asher with a seductive swing to her steps. ‘People are talking about you. They aren’t sure you are fit to be the football captain. You lead the team to victory but what does that mean when you won’t socialise with us, the cheerleaders, and keep other people in their place. The system breaks down and that isn’t what you want, is it?’

Her words were making his mind into a jumble of thoughts and emotions. He didn’t want to lose what he had and she was saying that he just might. It was a scary thought. If he didn’t have the football team and his friends then who did he have?

Danny. He had Danny.

Ivy was about to touch him, a smooth hand coming up to his chest at a pace that didn’t give him time to stop her but wasn’t too forceful. He caught her hand just as it touched him, looking into her eyes so she knew he was serious. ‘Ivy you need to leave.’

She looked taken aback but not deterred in the slightest, ‘Asher, you and I are the perfect couple. Don’t you see it?’

He shook his head but that didn’t mean much to her.

‘I know you want me. I see the way that you look at me, all quizzical, like you are trying to figure me out. Well, here I am, just for you.’

He hadn’t been looking at her like that because he was wondering what she was hiding under those clothes. He had been trying desperately to get a glimpse inside her head. The girl was so complicated that he had never been able to figure out exactly what she had been thinking.