{6}

The week flew by for Asher, he went to school and came home, spending his nights in front of the television and binge watching his favourite shows. It was lonely, especially on the nights where his father didn’t get back from work until Asher had already fallen asleep on the couch, the remote gripped loosely in his hand and his head resting against the arm of the couch. 

Before Asher knew it he was leaving school on Friday, he and his friends walking to their cars. It was a warm day, the sun was unobscured by clouds and it seemed that everyone was going to take advantage of the warm weather. He could hear the people around him making weekend plans as they skipped happily to their cars, calling out a few text me!’s to their friends.   

Bethany was tucked under Chad’s arm, the two talking amongst themselves. Leon was walking next to Asher, still telling him the crazy stories of the previous night. According to Leon the party was absolutely crazy, and it was confirmed that morning when Asher seemed to be the only person who turned up at school without a hangover.

Some of the teachers had been terrified that some massive virus had escaped into the school, and it took a few mumbled explanations from hung-over teenagers wearing dark shades to convince them otherwise.

Usually Asher would be hanging on every word, well, if he hadn’t actually been there himself. He wondered why now he was suddenly just missing Danny. He couldn’t care less who made out with who and who brought the expensive vodka that had people passing out on the front lawn. Those images of him almost cheating on Danny plagued his mind again, and he had to physically shake his head just to get them away.

‘And of course,’ Leon told Asher, dragging him out of his thoughts, ‘even pissed wasted, Chad still beat every single person at beer pong.’

‘My king,’ Bethany cooed, overhearing them.

‘My reign is still strong,’ Chad joked, throwing his fist in the air victoriously.

‘I can’t say I’m surprised,’ Asher smiled.

‘You should have been there!’ Leon smiled, ‘It was epic.’

Bethany cut in, ‘Don’t worry Asher, there will be many more epic parties, of that I am sure.’

‘She’s right,’ Chad chimed in, ‘Don’t feel too bad buddy,’ he patted Asher on the arm as if to console him.

Asher shrugged, ‘Yeah, I’ll see you guys on Monday,’ he told them casually as he reached his car. The three of them waved, and kept going passed Asher’s car to their own.

He backed out of the parking lot and drove home slowly, obeying every traffic regulation and even going five miles under the speed limit the entire drive home. It was quite uncharacteristic of him, but he had nowhere to be. His television and sofa were the only things waiting for him when he got home, and there wasn’t much excitement to be found in those prospects.

He arrived home to the empty house and he suddenly felt all alone. He was usually spending his Friday afternoons packing for Danny’s or waiting impatiently for Danny to arrive, but this Friday afternoon he was left with absolutely nothing to do. He threw his school bag onto the ground as soon as he walked through the door, and changed into sweatpants and an old, stained t-shirt, something that he never did.

Asher Harris was not a sweatpants wearing type of guy.

The fact that he had to dig through the bottom of his wardrobe for over five minutes to find them should in itself tell you that Asher did not commonly wear these particular pair of pants. Asher wore clothes that were carefully picked out. Clothes that hugged his body just right and matched the rest of his outfit to a tee. Asher did not dress casually very often, and even then, his jeans were designer, or his shoes were brand new and shiny.