6. Home Sweet Home

When I got home, the house was empty Thank God. I walked to the fridge dropping my bag by the front door. I opened the fridge and noticed everything in the kitchen was either expired or almost gone.

Well, guess I get to take a road trip to the grocery store. Alone. With No car. At FREAKING NIGHT! I sigh and say, "Just my luck." Obviously I say it to myself. I'm not that crazy...others might object to that though.

Anyways, I gotta focus. I wish mom was here. At least I wouldn't be alone. I grab my bag. Take it up stairs to my room to pack for the journey ahead of me. I grab my phone, headphones, house key, and Pepper Spray incase any man wants to take advantage of me.

Hopefully I won't have to use it. I walk to the fridge and grab a water, putting it in my bag. I run back upstairs to put on more comfortable clothes and grab my dad's green Army Jacket.

I miss my real dad. I never really knew what happened to him. Mom didn't talk about him much. I knew he always wore this jacket. It was his favorite one. He would occasionally wear a hoodie here or there.

He would always wear blue jeans and a pair of boots. Mom occasionally wore his boots but most of the time she would trip because of them being a bit too big. She didn't care though, she would always attempt to wear them.

I smile at the memory's of my parents as the front door opens. My step-father walks in with a case of beer and a loud stumble. He walks over to me, kisses my forehead and says, "Hey Sweet heart. Going somewhere?" I nod and say, "I was gonna head to the store on foot to get more groceries, you need more beer?" He shakes his head and says, "Nah I'll be good for tonight, have a good walk. While you're at it, don't forget to use your money. I can't afford to feed you too."

He walks to his room and slams the door. I stare down the hallway by the stairs, in a daze. Wondering if I still have any money from the last time dad had made me run to the store in under 30 minutes to get his food and drinks while using my own money I made.

I turn around and walk out of the house. Heading down the street, I stop for a second and look over at the Mayfield's house. They are sitting on their porch soaking up the beautiful moonlit sky.

They notice me and wave me over. I politely decline by doing a running motion and tapping my wrist like I have a watch on to let them know I have somewhere to be. They look confused and scream, "What!?", All at the same time.

I roll my eyes and screams back, "I have somewhere to be, I can't babysit you guys all the time." They all gasp and look offended. I gasp in a mocking tone. Which only makes them gasp again. I try to mock them again but I end up laughing in the middle of it.

I have to bend down to catch my breath. The Mayfield's laugh with me and Jonah and Lucas run over, out of breath due to laughing just as hard as I was.

Jonah as his brothers call him, makes a crying motion with his hands while making a sad face to indicate he is acting like he needs a babysitter.

I roll my eyes, "Oh yeah, real mature, Mayfield." Jonathan with a mocking tone, repeats what I had said. I smack his head and he says, "OW." Jonah rubs the back of his head and I speak in a bitter tone, "You should show me some respect like all the other girls you've spoken to, Mayfield." He looks at Jake with a pleading smile so he doesn't have to say sorry but Jake hops up from the railing they have on their porch and runs over to Jonah just to smack him on the back of the head where I got him earlier.

Jasper and Luke laugh, and I wince. "That's gonna leave a mark." I said. Jonah looks at me with tired eyes like he's gonna pass out. "I think I might have a concussion." Jake grabs him and says, "Well then you can go home with me but, first you have to apologize to her." Jonah looks fearful and looks back at me and says, "I'm sorry." with a smile. I acknowledge it with a nod and he turns around walking to the house with his brother.

I look over at Luke and Jasper and say, "Anyways, I have to go get my dad groceries." They look confused. Jonah turns around and walks back to us, he looks even more confused than Lucas and Jasper. Jonah says, "Hold up, So let me get this straight. Your dad wants you to go to the store and get HIM groceries!? Did I get that right!?" I nod. Jonah has the same expression he did, Luke and Jasper are smiling and can't look at Jonah, or me. It kinda makes me giggle.

Jonah asks another question with a, "WTF" expression on his face while asking, "Are you at least using his money!?" I shake my head and said, "Noo. Who do you think he is? A good dad? Pft." I smile and try to keep from laughing.

Jonah, Jasper, and Lucas now have all the same facial expression which only makes me laugh harder.

I calm down quickly when I notice their facial expressions don't change and I know their genuinely confused. I look around and feel a bit uncomfortable. They seem to notice so they look around, quite dissapointed in my father.

Jonah looks back at me with a relaxed face and soft eyes. He asks, "Are you atleast taking his car?" Pointing to my dad's car, he raised his eyebrows already knowing the answer I'm sure. I look down and say, "No. He doesn't allow me in his car." I look back up and Jake is walking up behind Lucas and Jasper.

I'm guessing he heard the conversation because he says, "Well, he's not getting anywhere in life making his daughter that has better things to do if I might add, get him groceries when he's supposed to be the father and take care of HIS CHILD. But he doesn't does he?" I shake my head and say, "No not really. But I'll be ok. Oh and he's not technically my dad...he's my step dad." I say that to give them peace of mind but they don't look convinced at all. "Really guys. I'll be fine. Ya know you could offer to walk with me. Or give me a ride." Jake looks at me and sighs, pulling his keys out of his pocket. He says while holding them up, "Why do you think I kept walking when Jonah turned back?"

Jake suddenly pulled out his phone to check the time and says, "Besides Dad just texted me, we gotta go get him beer and we were fixing to head to the store anyways to get some food for tonight." Jake looks up, soon looking behind me with still cold eyes slowly swelling with a hint of fear but he somehow makes it so I don't feel scared. But it doesn't help the anxiety filling up inside me like water in a tub.

Whatever's behind me I know its bad. I look over at Lucas, Jonah, and Jasper. They aren't moving. They have the same expression Jake does but Lucas isn't looking at the thing behind me. He's looking at ME. Now they all are looking at me with a little more fear in their eyes like I'm going to dissap-...

Okay there will be a 2 pt. because I'm basically making this up as I go so wish me luck. If you guys even read this. Im sorry if this story sucks. I'm not the best writer but I'm improving everyday. Enjoy the book and see you on the other side😉