Welcoming

It's funny. The things you remember when watching someone you love die.

Holding Skeppys lifeless body, I remembered his laughter, but I also remembered all the fights we ever had...And how he always stuck up for me when it came down to it. He always fought for me when I needed him, yet...I wasn't there for him when he needed me. Who was going to avenge him? Would he even know?

"Come now, child."

Death softly let out, laying a hand on my shoulder as I watched the sky slowly clear, as though it was reversing its effects.

"I can't leave without his funeral...I can't leave without saying goodbye."

I whimpered, my voice cracking as I looked at his closed eyes, resting as though he was sleeping.

Death looked at the old tree that Skeppy and I often played around as kids, but when we got older...I started to have a bad feeling when I got close to it, so we agreed to leave it alone.

"I'm afraid there is no time left. You will be together, do not worry."

I didn't understand her, but what I did know...Was she was right. We were out of time and I could feel it. The air wasn't quite right, and I had to be the one to save it...It was me who got him killed. I got him involved in this. 

"I'll go...But, you have to swear to me that I can fix this. I can save others from death."

I begged, tears in my eyes as she inhaled kindly. I knew that was the response I'd get before she talked me into riddles and confused me...Yet, somehow it was good enough for me to take the hand she had reached out. And in the blink of an eye I was standing in front of Skeppy, whos eyes went slightly wide for a moment.

"Bad..."

He breathed, pulling me in for a hug, and I physically relaxed into his warmth...Except that I didn't feel it...I didn't feel his touch at all...

"Geppy..."

I whimpered softly, looking at him as he stepped back and looked at Death, who looked between us with a soft sadness.

"As Skeppy has agreed to walk through hell with you to the other side...He will be more venerable to the temptations of the sins. Do not let him forget the mission." 

She vanished from sight and I looked Skeppy over. He was no longer covered in his own blood...But, I could tell he was a spirit. 

"Are you ready to save the world?"

Skeppy smiled, holding out his hand like a gentleman as smile spread across his face. My heart sank knowing that even if we get out of this alive...He was going to be dead...And that wouldn't change no matter what I did.

I didn't say anything, just looked at the portal...Wanting to turn back time to when Skeppy and I were just friends, and he was still alive...And none of this was fated to happen.

"I know it's scary, Bad. You have no idea how terrifying this is just for me alone...And I can't imagine how you're feeling because more rests on your shoulders...But, I'm here to go with you. I will travel whatever road I must in order to stay by your side."

I inhaled and looked at the hand he still held out, knowing I still wasn't going to feel his touch again...But, I placed my palm on top of his.

"I'm ready."

I whispered as the both of of took a step forward, and the portal sucked us in, making my entire body feel cold and twisted...But I knew this was my duty as a demon, or whatever death had made me into. I wished nothing more than to be normal...But I'd never have met Skeppy if I was...So, I was okay with how things were now, minus what I had done to my best friend, and my lover.