Enemies to Lovers (she/her)

~*~

It's normal to hate the popular kids, yet no one hates the Weasley Twins more than I.

I mean, how can someone become famous by embarrassing others? Humans are cruel creatures, always laughing at their classmates' pain until the same happens to them.

I snuck looks at them now. George was on the left, while Fred was on the right. Angelina (my closest friend) always thought it strange how I could tell them apart. Here's the secret: George is more attractive- but that DOES NOT mean I like him. In fact, he despises me. Why else would he try and humiliate me every chance he got? Everyone says Fred is the more brutal one, though based on my experience, I can disagree.

"(Y/n), stop staring at your lover before he notices," Angelina chided.

"He's not my lover!" I snapped back hastily.

"Oh yeah? Why else would you always stare at him? It can only be looooooove."

"That's because I'm trying to look out for myself before I get dungbombed again. He's a foul git and-"

"Who's a foul git?" Fred asked.

Angelina laughed at my startled expression. "You are, hon. Anyways, I got to go (y/n). Fred promised to take me to Hogsmeade today, and if we get there early, we get a free chocolate frog for every butterbeer." She clutched his outstretched hand and got up. "Have fun with your boyfriend!"

"(Y/n) has a boyfriend?" George said, looking strangely discouraged.

"I don't. Angelina's just joking," I answered.

"Oh. Hey, I need to ask you something."

"No."

"What?"

"No, I am not falling for your stupid jokes again. I already learned my lesson in 2nd year."

Leaving him bewildered, I grabbed my books and ran out of the library.

---

The scene played in my head over and over. I couldn't sleep. What if George hated me now? What if he'll never speak to me again? I was so rude, and.... hey, why do I even care? It's not like I have a crush on him or anything. His beautiful brown eyes, fiery red hair, charming manners, none of them work on me! I'm probably just confused by what Angelina said. Liking him? Pfffft, I have a better chance of being a witch. Wait, I am a witch. Shoot, I think I like George Weasley!

I sat up in bed.

I like George Weasley! I like George Weasley! I like George Weasley!

But how? I thought I hated him! ...Unless I convinced myself that I hated him since I was too scared to admit my feelings and didn't want to get hurt. Thank god I read that psychiatrist book a few years ago. I needed to get this off my chest, or else I'd sink. Tell him right now! a little voice murmured in my mind. Right now? It's the middle of the night! Tell him tomorrow, another fought back. "You're right," I whispered to no one," tomorrow or nothing."

---

"Ha! I knew you'd come around. They call me 'Angelina the Matchmaker' for a reason, y'know."

Rolling my eyes, I retorted, "Firstly, no one calls you that. Secondly, what am I gonna do?"

"Just tell him, like, 'George, listen up! I like you!'"

"What? How is that gonna work?"

She shrugged. "It worked for me."

"I thought that you were 'Angelina the Matchmaker.'"

"You already knew that was fake. Hey, George is right there! I believe in you! GO!" She shoved me hard across the lawn.

"Ouch! Sorry, George. Angelina pushed me." Rubbing my arm awkwardly, I looked up at him.

"(Y/n), about yesterday, I'm really sorry you got so mad. I promise it wasn't a prank, I just-"

"I'm sorry too. I was flustered and, well, I just realized I interrupted you in the middle of your sentence, sorry! Sorry I keep saying sorry. And sorry about saying sorry again, I..."

"Why were you flustered?" His playful twinkle was back.

"Um, y- you see... ther- uh..." I was a mess. He was so close to me, I could see a tiny scar on his face, undoubtedly from a prank gone wrong. "I- I like you."

His face froze. "What did you say?"

"NothingjustthatIlikeyoubutIknowyouwon'tfeelthesameway'causeyouprobablydon'tlikemethe samewaybutit'sokIhadlowexpectationsanaywayanditwasreallystupidofmetoaskandI'msorryheywhyareyoulaughing?"

"I'm laughing because I like you too! That's what I wanted to tell you about yesterday. I used to be mean to you because I was trying to cover up my crush on you. I'm glad you felt the same way about me."

He stared at me, and his eyes slowly traveled to my lips. He glanced back at me, asking for permission. I nodded; he leaned in. Our mouths touched, and a sensation of fireworks went off in my body. He tasted like candy and laughter. Finally, we pulled apart.

"Wow," I breathed, "that was amazing."

"So, I guess we're dating now," he returned.

"Yes, I think we are."

We stared at each other, not want to leave each other.

"Are you free tomorrow at 3? I want to take you somewhere."

"Sure! Where should we meet?"

"How about where we're standing right now?"

"It's a date. See you later Geor-... boyfriend."

"See you later, girlfriend."

I beamed and ran back, where Angelina's excited gaze awaited.

~*~

A/N: Thank you for reading! ***Sometimes tropes like this glorify real problems like abuse. If anyone makes you feel threatened or uncomfortable, tell a trusted adult. Don't ignore it just because "if they're mean, that means they like me." As an author, I need to make sure my readers can differentiate fiction from reality.***  As always, have a great day/afternoon/night, and let me know in the comments if you want me to write a certain oneshot!