III

The sound of chopsticks (or a fork in Kiana's case) clinking against porcelain plates were the only noises coming from the young couple's table. Every so often when Kaito was heavily engrossed in his food Kiana would sneak a peek at his good looks before hurriedly focussing back on her donburi, little did she know the dark-haired male did the same every time she looked away.

Clearing her throat, Kiana decided to strike up a conversation.

"So, how did you find this place? It's so beautiful."

Kiana gazed at the traditional Japanese design in awe as she waited for Kaito''s reply.

"It's actually owned by my cousin, I knew I could always trust him to make good food and I wanted to impress you." Kaito blushed, quickly looking down at his metal chopsticks.

"Really? That's honestly so sweet." Kiana beamed, she felt giddy that he'd want to impress her.

"Yeahh, so tell me about yourself. Who is Kiana Simpson?"

"Hmm, well I'm 24 and I work in the coffee shop as you know but that's only part-time because I'm also training to teach kids. I really love them y'know, and if I can help mould them into the people of tomorrow I can't wait to."

Kaito gazed at Kiana in admiration as she continued to speak about herself, she seemed to be so driven and knew where she wanted to be in life and how to get there, it honestly made him feel proud of her even though they'd only known each other for a short period of time. Her beauty seemed even more radiant as she spoke about something she was passionate about.

"So, what about you?" Kiana asked before scooping some rice and duck into her mouth, covering it as she chewed.

"Me? I'm uh 26, I moved here to London when I was 15 from Sendai in Japan with my family and currently working for the family business in security. I was kind of thinking of moving back to Sendai but.." Kaito trailed off as he spied Kiana watching him intently, he leaned over the table slightly and made sure he was looking her directly in the eye before slightly whispering, "I think I've found a reason to stay."

***

A few weeks had passed since Kaito and Kiana had had their little date, and the two of them were as happy can be. They weren't officially in a relationship yet but with the way they acted, they might as well have been, and Kaito's friends loved to remind him.

"Look man, I'm just saying how the fuck did someone like you pull a girl like Kiana? She is gorgeous and you're... lemme not talk too much." Nolan laughed, taking a swig of the sprite in his hand.

"Man shut up. I'm perfectly attractive." Kaito argued as he typed on his laptop.

"Sorry, I'm gonna have to side with Nolan on this one." Jimmy replied from his spot sprawled out on Nolan's couch.

"No one asked you, dumb bitch." Kaito growled.

The trio was currently seated in Nolan's living room, catching up after not seeing each other for a couple of weeks. They'd met in Year 10 when Kaito had joined their school and Nolan had stuck by his side like gorilla glue, dragging Jimmy behind him and into the friendship, they'd been the three musketeers ever since. Through thick and thin the three of them had stuck by each other's side and never shown own disloyalty even when they probably should've. They were brothers by everything except for blood, they looked out for each other.

"When you gonna make her yours officially tho, bro?" Jimmy asked lazily, reaching over for a bag of popcorn.

"Why?" Kaito looked up from his laptop, to shoot his friend a hard glare.

"Relax Jackie Chan-"

"Fucking racist, you know I'm Japanese" Kaito grumbled under his breath

"Sorry Ken Watanabe," Jimmy held up hands in surrender. "If I was you I'd claim her quickly, not only because she's a beaut but also because you're not the only one onto her."

"What's that supposed to mean."

Kaito's attention was completely ripped away from his laptop as he looked at his dark-skinned friend. Nolan's excited clap soon caught his attention too.

"Ah yes! I went to this coffee shop the other day and recognised her from the pics you showed us. Her co-worker was all over her."

"Buzzcut?" Jimmy asked.

"That's the one!" Nolan confirmed.

Kaito sat in silence as he pondered over his friends' revelations, ultimately he knew he wouldn't be the only one pining for Kiana's affection but he didn't appreciate the competition very much. Or how he got to see her more often than he did.

Kaito decided he'd have to do something about that.

****

Kiana felt a shiver go down her spine as she sat in her apartment. She quickly stood up to turn up her heating before throwing herself back down on her sofa, wrapping a duvet tightly around her body with only her head poking out.

The blue light of the TV lit up the otherwise dark apartment and the dull noise coming from it acted as suitable background noise as Kiana scrolled through her phone although as she did it she couldn't shake her uncomfortable feeling.

It had become a lot more prominent in recent weeks, and she was starting to feel a little worried. She constantly felt as if there were eyes on her even if she was the only person to be seen, ultimately she knew it was an irrational fear and yet she couldn't shake it.

With a sigh, she turned up the volume of her TV and made sure her phone was plugged in before stretching out, deciding to sleep on the sofa that night. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a bird fly haphazardly past her window and she heard what sounded like foxes scuffling around in the rubbish downstairs.

If only she'd seen the glint of the camera lens watching her sleep that night, or heard the faint beep that accompanied it.

-------------------------------------------

A/N:  Hope you liked this chapter!

       Please vote and comment x