Chapter 9 (1/3): Let's Get Ready to Rumble!

"Death. What is death? The city dweller's science says, 'the permanent cessation of all biological functions that sustain a living organism.'"

"Bio-what-i-cal?" A small child raised their hand, "What's a organism?"

"That is what the city dweller's call a creature." The children cooed at the new city dweller word they learned. Bo looked on fondly at the starry eyes of the Ardacian youths before him. "However, in our village, we believe that death is not the end. One's spirit passes on to the Aether. There they are judged based on how they used their time here in the Middle Realm." Bo reached into a knapsack beside him bringing out a fox pelt. "That is why after every kill we use all parts of the creature. However, we must also remember to pay our respects to the spirit of the deceased so they may feel at peace before they are judged." Bo placed the fox pelt back in his knapsack and reached for his bow and a satchel of arrows. "Today on our hunt I will be watching all of you. Upon every successful kill, I want you to bow down and pray for the soul of your prey."

Growls and laughter sounded off behind the sitting children. Bo looked past them to see Nita riding her bear's shoulder around the fire pit. "Ahem..." Nita's bear came to an abrupt stop accidentally throwing Nita off his shoulders. She hit the floor with a soft thud shaking her now fuzzy head. "This also applies to you, Nita."

Nita smiled at Bo, grabbing her bear by the paw leading him to the group, "I always respect my prey." She took a seat at the back of the group while her bear stood tall. She pulled on his paw beckoning him to her side. He dropped to the ground with a loud thud causing Nita to bounce up slightly.

Bo pinched the brim of his nose, "Nita, I've watched you play jump-rope with a family of ferrets."

"I was a kid, I'm mature now."

"That was last week..."

"Bo I believe you would say, 'Even if it has only been a day, you have still grown wiser.'" The group looked at the main tent. A large black woman was making her way towards them. She was a muscular woman with a large dark purple afro atop her head. Small leaves could be seen sticking out in random spots. Her clothes were shades of complimenting purples, a dark purple tank top with a lighter shade of purple for her shorts. Even the shoes she wore were a shade of purple. "But then again you run a whole village and I'm just a botanist."

"Your knowledge of fauna is remarkable in its own rights, Rosa."

"Oh Bo, flattery will get you everywhere." The two adults giggled softly as the kids began to swarm Rosa. Some asked her questions about the most dangerous plants she knew. Though a large congregation, including one overbearing Nita, were gathered around her backside. On Rosa's back sat a pink flower pot. Living within was a strange, sentient plant. It was pink with white spikes on its head and fat pink lips. Some children tried to pet the plant, others poked and prodded the strange fauna.

She had grown used to this reaction from the Ardacian youth, but her companion seemed uncomfortable. As a child poked the plant in the eye it grew so large that it could have swallowed the hair on Rosa's head. The look on its face changed from a complacent smile to an alarming scowl. The children fled at the sudden change, giggling as they ran behind Bo. All except for Nita who growled back standing her ground against the fierce flower.

"Woah, down girl," Rosa pats her flower's head trying to calm it down. She looked and saw Nita baring her teeth, "And... um... down girl?" Her flower began to decrease in size, Nita following suit.

"All right little ones let's leave Rosa alone. I'm sure she is very busy," Bo corralled the children and pointed towards the forest. "Now go forth and hunt for tonight's meal. And remember we must pray for the souls of the creatures we kill."